• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Franci

Franci

Also you can look for vincotto di fichi. My grandfather used to dry figs in the sun: opened in half  but still attached at the base. Fill with walnuts and pair with another half. Dry fig sandwich. He had some cane trellis where the figs were spread and covered with a fly net and let in the hot summer sun, brought in at night. But I don't remember how long it would take. 

I miss figs so much. I remember my father was particular found of some trees on the road, every time he would drive by, he would stop to eat the figs hanging on the side of the street. Too bad my parents moved to the North. 

Fig and prosciutto, figs and prosciutto. I could have as appetizer every day. 

Franci

Franci

Also you can look for vincotto di fichi. My grandfather used to dry figs in the sun: opened in half  but still attached at the base. Fill with walnuts and pair with another half. Dry fig sandwich. He had some cane trellis where the figs were spread and over with a fly net and let in the hot summer sun, brought in at night. But I don't remember how long it would take. 

I miss figs so much. I remember my father was particular found of some trees on the road, every time he would drive by, he would stop to eat the figs hanging on the side of the street. Too bad my parents moved to the North. 

Fig and prosciutto, figs and prosciutto. I could have as appetizer every day.