• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I vividly remember the day I was walking downtown, just drifting around seeing what was happening and picking up a bit of shopping, but nothing serious when something struck me.

I suddenly realised that almost everyone in the busy streets was younger than me, at least in appearance and I was confused as to why that might be. Where were all the people my age and older?

Then I worked it out. The vast majority of the people on the planet are younger than me. That was a shock realisation.

In my mind, I don't feel old at all. I'm told I still retain some youthfulness in my visage and outlook - and not only by my friends and debtors. I have to regretfully concede that the body is slowing down and two bad falls this year have seriously upset me both physically and psychologically. But none of this has even hinted at any lack of interest in what I cook or eat. My greatest pleasures are still the local restaurants, markets, my kitchen and tasting the results. Well, one surpasses those - serving my food to my dearest friends - but it's a rare pleasure these days. People seem to be getting more and more busy, running to stand still.

I recently had a restaurant dinner with a 20 year old (work related)  - in her mind I was old when she was born - and yet I could detect a lot more tastes in the food than she could - the benefit of experience and knowing what you looking for, of course, rather than some super power! We both enjoyed the meal, however and she has requested an invite the next time I am in the mood for social cooking.

I haven't detected any change in my ability to taste and I'm seeking new tastes and sensations instead of any drift to unseasoned, spiceless pap. Take me out and shoot me before that happens.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I vividly remember the day I was walking downtown, just drifting around seeing what was happening and picking up a bit of shopping, but nothing serious.

I suddenly realised that almost everyone in the busy streets was younger than me, at least in appearance and was confused as to why that might be. Where were all the people my age and older?

Then I worked it out. The vast majority of the people on the planet are younger than me. That was a shock realisation.

In my mind, I don't feel old at all. I'm told I still retain some youthfulness in my visage and outlook - and not only by my friends and debtors. I have to regretfully conceded that the body is slowing down and two bad falls this year have seriously upset me both physically and psychologically. But none of this has even hinted at any lack of interest in what I cook or eat. My greatest pleasures are still the local restaurants, markets, my kitchen and tasting the results. Well, one surpasses those - serving my food to my dearest friends - but it's a rare pleasure these days. People seem to be getting more and more busy, running to stand still.

I recently had a restaurant dinner with a 20 year old (work related)  - in her mind I was old when she was born - and yet I could detect a lot more tastes in the food than she could - the benefit of experience and knowing what you looking for, of course, rather than some super power!. We both enjoyed the meal, however and she has requested an invite to the next time I am in the mood for social cooking.

I haven't detected any change in my ability to taste and I'm seeking new tastes and sensaations instead of any drift to unseasoned, spiceless pap. Take me out and shoot me before that happens.