• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

3 hours ago, boilsover said:

DRU did not shut down.  They've been in continuous operation since 1754, when 22-year-old Major George Washington was gearing up for the French and Indian wars.  But you are correct that DRU produced enameled cast iron from the 1930s to the 1960s.

Andie, do you have (or have you seen) any of the 1920s American ECI produced by Griswold, Wagner, Favorite, Lodge, Birmingham Stove & Range Co, Vollrath, or others? 

I have had several Griswold enameled CI pieces but sold them several years ago before I retired, to a collector who was also a patient.  I had 4 red skillets, 6 of the large blue "gratin/fish bakers" and a small dutch oven that was an odd greenish-gray color, inside was cream colored.  I have a Prizer-ware on ebay now.   Years ago I had a couple of odd ones, a chocolate brown  BSR that I gave to my step-daughter in the '80s while I was preparing to move.  I vaguely remember a large skillet that was blue with white speckles - like granite ware but was cast iron.  I'm pretty sure I traded that one for some Griswold with the Cast Iron guy at the Rose Bowl swap meet.  

This is the Prizer-ware

Beautiful turquoise Prizer-Ware long baker or "gratin" Difficult to read "Prizer-Ware" on the bottom, impossible to photo.  14" long x 5" wide at the widest point.  There is one tiny "chip" on one upper edge.  
This was made in the 1950s  by Prizer-Painter, Reading, PA 

1655743112_HPIM1854copy.thumb.jpg.19e5e7d07cfd6dcf268f5f04d279119c.jpg

andiesenji

andiesenji

3 hours ago, boilsover said:

DRU did not shut down.  They've been in continuous operation since 1754, when 22-year-old Major George Washington was gearing up for the French and Indian wars.  But you are correct that DRU produced enameled cast iron from the 1930s to the 1960s.

Andie, do you have (or have you seen) any of the 1920s American ECI produced by Griswold, Wagner, Favorite, Lodge, Birmingham Stove & Range Co, Vollrath, or others? 

I have had several Griswold enameled CI pieces but sold them several years ago before I retired, to a collector who was also a patient.  I had 4 red skillets, 6 of the large blue "gratin/fish bakers" and a small dutch oven that was an odd greenish-gray color, inside was cream colored.  I have a Prizer-ware on ebay now.   Years ago I had a couple of odd ones, a chocolate brown  BSR that I gave to my step-daughter in the '80s while I was preparing to move.  I vaguely remember a large skillet that was blue with white speckles - like granite ware but was cast iron.  I'm pretty sure I traded that one for some Griswold with the Cast Iron guy at the Rose Bowl swap meet.