• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

boilsover

boilsover

On 7/1/2018 at 2:25 PM, kayb said:

But I would have doggone sure jumped on that deal. What a find!

I hate to be the pee on the campfire here, but... 

Early in my cooking life, I invested quite heavily in Le Creuset, and had most of the saucepans--and most everything else (in Rotuts Blue).  Both  the wooden-handled  and hollow "blob" saucepan versions.  I even had a strange third variant with a flat cast iron handle that "mated" with an even stranger cover/tiny poele.  In my humble opinion, these are possibly the second-worst saucepans ever conceived (Visions, take your bow!).  They are sluggish in the extreme, and the rims chip easily.  The only good thing about them is the spout, I think.

At the time I bought my large batterie of Le Creuset, I thought it was the sine qua non of performance cookware.  From where I look now, I think Le Creuset cost me at least a decade of cooking advancement and enjoyment.

Sorry, carry on. 

boilsover

boilsover

On 7/1/2018 at 2:25 PM, kayb said:

But I would have doggone sure jumped on that deal. What a find!

I hate to be the pee on the campfire here, but... 

Early in my cooking life, I invested quite heavily in Le Creuset, and had most of the saucepans--and most everything else (in Rotuts Blue).  Both  the wooden-handled  and hollow "blob" saucepan versions.  I even had a strange third variant with a flat cast iron handle that "mated" with an even stranger cover/tiny poele.  In my humble opinion, these are possibly the second-worst saucepans ever conceived (Visions, take your bow!).  They are sluggish in the extreme, and the rims chip easily.

At the time I bought my large batterie of Le Creuset, I thought it was the sine qua non of performance cookware.  From where I look now, I think Le Creuset cost me at least a decade of cooking advancement and enjoyment.

Sorry, carry on.