• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

2 hours ago, sartoric said:

Correct @andiesenji. I had been looking at my local op shop for a small ladle to use while making dosa. I carried this around while browsing the rest of the store, then decided against it, and put it back where I found it. My next stop was a suburb away at the Indian grocer, where I noticed a new one in a box. The store owner explained what it was for, so after buying my spices, I hotfooted it back to the op shop, bought it, and felt a tiny bit smug about saving $10.50 off the new price. Here it is on the stove....

IMG_3334.thumb.JPG.095d6f8758a1039132663dc762f6cd8e.JPG

I got mine because it worked better on the burner I had for cooking Indian foods - I almost always cooked them outside on the deck because otherwise my entire house reeked of cooked spices. 

We have an excellent Indian market here in Lancaster. I think it is a chain, India Sweets and Spices.  They carry a lot of interesting items besides food.

The propane cooker had concentric rings and each one could be used separately or with the others. So only the center ring lit when using the small pans and the bigger ones added as the size of the vessel increased.  When I was catering, I had them mounted on carts, along with the propane tank and each cart had a fire extinguisher hung on the end.  

andiesenji

andiesenji

2 hours ago, sartoric said:

Correct @andiesenji. I had been looking at my local op shop for a small ladle to use while making dosa. I carried this around while browsing the rest of the store, then decided against it, and put it back where I found it. My next stop was a suburb away at the Indian grocer, where I noticed a new one in a box. The store owner explained what it was for, so after buying my spices, I hotfooted it back to the op shop, bought it, and felt a tiny bit smug about saving $10.50 off the new price. Here it is on the stove....

IMG_3334.thumb.JPG.095d6f8758a1039132663dc762f6cd8e.JPG

I got mine because it worked better on the burner I had for cooking Indian foods - I almost always cooked them outside on the deck because otherwise my entire house reeked of cooked spices. 

We have an excellent Indian market here in Lancaster. I think it is a chain, India Sweets and Spices.  They carry a lot of interesting items besides food.