• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lemniscate

lemniscate

So, a few weeks ago, I was at an antique farm equipment show.  They had a  silent auction.   I rarely do anything with those because you are tied to the event until the auction is over.  This time, I saw what I thought was a monstrous kraut cutter, so I bid on it and I won it (there was actually a bidding war on this thing even though no one was really sure if it was a kraut cutter.

We brought it home and cleaned it up.   I bought cabbage heads to test, it didn't do a great job of cabbage slicing.  I also happened to have some russets and thought, eh, what the heck?   This is where I think we started thinking it was a potato chipper instead. 

Today I decided to put it in use.  I bought 4 medium-ish russets and we cranked them through.  350F oil and dang if we didn't have fantastic potato chips.  The machine is labeled JE Smith & Sons, Buffalo NY.  Research shows it may be from 1889-1890.  This thing is the most entertaining mandoline ever.  It made the most consistent potato slices.  Delicious with ribs and salad on the patio.  EDIT:  The ribs were done in the Big Easy, so that's 2 gadgets in use for 1 meal!

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1360.PNG

IMG_1359.PNG

IMG_1361.PNG

IMG_1362.PNG

lemniscate

lemniscate

So, a few weeks ago, I was at an antique farm equipment show.  They had a  silent auction.   I rarely do anything with those because you are tied to the event until the auction is over.  This time, I saw what I thought was a monstrous kraut cutter, so I bid on it and I won it (there was actually a bidding war on this thing even though no one was really sure if it was a kraut cutter.

We brought it home and cleaned it up.   I bought cabbage heads to test, if  didn't do a great job of cabbage slicing.  I also happened to have some russets and thought, eh, what the heck?   This is where I think we started thinking it was a potato chipper instead. 

Today I decided to put it in use.  I bought 4 medium-ish russets and we cranked them through.  350F oil and dang if we didn't have fantastic potato chips.  The machine is labeled JE Smith & Sons, Buffalo NY.  Research shows it may be from 1889-1890.  This thing is the most entertaining mandoline ever.  It made the most consistent potato slices.  Delicious with ribs and salad on the patio.  EDIT:  The ribs were done in the Big Easy, so that's 2 gadgets in use for 1 meal!

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1360.PNG

IMG_1359.PNG

IMG_1361.PNG

IMG_1362.PNG

lemniscate

lemniscate

We brought is home and cleaned it up.   I bought cabbage heads to test, if  didn't do a great job of cabbage slicing.  I also happened to have some russets and thought, eh, what the heck?   This is where I think we started thinking it was a potato chipper instead. 

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1360.PNG

IMG_1359.PNG

IMG_1361.PNG

IMG_1362.PNG

lemniscate

lemniscate

We brought is home and cleaned it up.   I bought cabbage heads to test, if  didn't do a great job of cabbage slicing.  I also happened to have some russets and thought, eh, what the heck?   This is where I think we started thinking it was a potato chipper instead. 

Today I decided to put it in use.  I bought 4 medium-ish russets and we cranked them through.  350F oil and dang if we didn't have fantastic potato chips.  The machine is labeled JE Smith & Sons, Buffalo NY.  Research shows it may be from 1889-1890.  This thing is the most entertaining mandoline ever.  It made the most consistent potato slices.  Delicious with ribs and salad on the patio.

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1360.PNG

IMG_1359.PNG

IMG_1361.PNG

IMG_1362.PNG