• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

Thanks for that lengthy rundown, Francois.

What eastern Canadian (at least from eastern Ontario and Quebec) has not been to a St. Hubert, I wonder. :) I think it has become an institution. My daughter grew up going there a lot - I figured St. Hubert was a better alternative 'fast food' than McDonalds when I didn't feel like cooking - and 'free' Toblerone bars at Christmas didn't hurt either. I used to like their sauce a lot myself - till they started canning it (and drying it) and I found out what it was made of - at least in those forms. Unfortunately, I don't think those are the original sauce ingredients anymore since it became a chain. But, hey, once in a while one must have poutine (or just chips and gravy) and I agree theirs is delicious.

I haven't been to Piri Piri but may try to find it when I am next in downtown Montreal - based on your recommendation. Thanks. However, of your list, the one that interests me the most is probably Piazza Pazza. More my style of food I think. I see it has generally good reviews and anything on the south side or the west side (i.e. Dollard des Ormeaux) is probably easier for me to find and get to these days unless I take a train into downtown.

Stash's serves delicious Polish food (some with some Hungarian and other eastern European influences) - perogies, cabbage rolls, paprikash, etc. and they were very good but for me the very best thing on their menu used to be the apple cake. It is located near the theatre I used to have a season subscription to attend so it was very convenient for dinner before or after. I have very fond memories of that place. Mind you, their food is not what I would call 'spicy' - and these days I prefer Thai foods which are more colourful, bright, cooked a la minute, and at least moderately spicy - but, were I in the mood for something more 'old school' I would definitely seek out Stash's again.

Anyway, welcome to eGullet again. I hope you will like it here and post a lot.

Deryn

Deryn

Thanks for that lengthy rundown, Francois.

What eastern Canadian (at least from eastern Ontario and Quebec) has not been to a St. Hubert, I wonder. :) I think it has become an institution. My daughter grew up going there a lot - I figured St. Hubert was a better alternative 'fast food' than McDonalds when I didn't feel like cooking - and 'free' Toblerone bars at Christmas didn't hurt either. I used to like their sauce a lot myself - till they started canning it (and drying it) and I found out what it was made of - at least in those forms. Unfortunately, I don't think those are the original sauce ingredients anymore since it became a chain. But, hey, once in a while one must have poutine (or just chips and gravy) and I agree theirs is delicious.

I haven't been to Piri Piri but may try to find it when I am next in downtown Montreal - based on your recommendation. Thanks. However, of your list, the one that interests me the most is probably Piazza Pazza. More my style of food I think. I see it has generally good reviews and anything on the south side or the west side (i.e. Dollard des Ormeaux) is probably easier for me to find and get to these days unless I take a train into downtown.

Stash's serves delicious Polish food (some with some Hungarian and other eastern European influences) - perogies, cabbage rolls, paprikash, etc. and they were very good but for me the very best thing on their menu used to be the apple cake. It is located near the theatre I used to have a season subscription to attend so it was very convenient for dinner before or after. I have very fond memories of that place. Mind you, their food is not what I would call 'spicy' - and these days I prefer Thai foods which are more colourful, bright, cooked a la minute, and at last moderately spicy - but, were I in the mood for something more 'old school' I would definitely seek out Stash's again.

Anyway, welcome to eGullet again. I hope you will like it here and post a lot.