• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shel_B

Shel_B

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 3:43 AM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

There are many recipes for cheesecakes cooked without a water bath, and here's a favorite. It comes from my 1997 edition of "The Joy of Cooking" by Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker and Ethan Becker.

Cheesecake Cocaigne

They recommend a graham cracker crust. Since I'm not a big graham cracker fan, I usually go with a shortbread or chocolate or vanilla wafer crumb crust. I will blind bake all of these to toastiness first. They call for a 10 inch springform or cake pan.

You want to preheat your oven to 300 F.

In a mixing bowl, beat until creamy, and this'll take about half a minute

1-1/2 pounds cream cheese (I use Neufchatel, with good results)

About how many people does this recipe serve?  My cheesecake (lemon goat cheese, based on a Food & Wine recipe - no water bath), made with 11-oz of cheese and six eggs, serves about 8 people, maybe more ... it's been a while since I made it for a crowd.

Shel_B

Shel_B

There are many recipes for cheesecakes cooked without a water bath, and here's a favorite. It comes from my 1997 edition of "The Joy of Cooking" by Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker and Ethan Becker.

Cheesecake Cocaigne

They recommend a graham cracker crust. Since I'm not a big graham cracker fan, I usually go with a shortbread or chocolate or vanilla wafer crumb crust. I will blind bake all of these to toastiness first. They call for a 10 inch springform or cake pan.

About how many people does this recipe serve?  My cheesecake (lemon goat cheese, based on a Food & Wine recipe), made with 11-oz of cheese and six eggs, serves about 8 people, maybe more ... it's been a while since I made it for a crowd.

Shel_B

Shel_B

Cheesecake Cocaigne

About how many people does this recipe serve?  My cheesecake (lemon goat cheese), made with 11-oz of cheese and six eggs, serves about 8 people, maybe more ... it's been a while since I made it for a crowd.