• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rustwood

rustwood

brevity?

4 hours ago, stonypaul said:

but doesn't the displacement method mean that you have to keep the zipped end out of the water to avoid water getting into the bag?

I should add that except for very long cooks, I generally use ziplock freezer bags.  Like Kayb said, it is just easier not to have to pull out the foodsaver.  I don't actually know that ziplocks wouldn't work for a long cook, but for a big 72 hour brisket I am not going to take the chance.  In any case, I generally keep the zipped end out of the water, but that isn't hard to do.  I use big binder clips to hold the bags to the side of the bath.

rustwood

rustwood

4 hours ago, stonypaul said:

but doesn't the displacement method mean that you have to keep the zipped end out of the water to avoid water getting into the bag?

I should add that except for very long cooks, I generally use ziplock freezer bags - even though I have the food saver.  Like Kayb said, it is just easier not to have to pull out the foodsaver.  I don't actually know that ziplocks wouldn't work for a long cook, but for a big 72 hour brisket I am not going to take the chance.  In any case, I generally keep the zipped end out of the water, but that isn't hard to do.  I use big binder clips to hold the bags to the side of the bath.