• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tere

Tere

I am addicted to brackets :P

Hi folks!

Thought it best to introduce myself now I've got my feet wet and started to post :)

I live on a 37 acre hill farm in a remote part of the Shropshire Hills, right on the border between England and Wales. Ludlow is my nearest foodie town 25 miles away, with an impressive array of independent food shops and a lovely award winning farm shop, although I will admit that most of my food comes from online supermarkets and is topped up by special trips there. Popping out for a forgotten basic item is a 12 mile round trip so I do a fair amount of planning ahead. My husband works in London in the weeks and I am really a grazer when he's not there, saving my weekends for major cooking efforts. I cook on a combo of a conventional oven and a coal fired Aga which we fire up at weekends, dragging out the sous vide occasionally (I really should cook with it more!).

Style wise my cooking varies a lot - I always do some sort of roast dinner on Saturday evenings, but other than that it can be all sorts of cuisine, although I am partial to doing a long slow cook recipe on Sundays as the Aga is great for that. I'm on a curry kick at the moment and trying Lebanese food having been bought an enormous book for Christmas. This weekend we're having laksa, slow roast pork belly and shabu-shabu (we lived in Tokyo for several years and loved the food and the service culture over there). I bake my own bread sometimes and we are lucky enough to have an original 1840's bread oven that we've refurbished and are trying to figure out.

We both love eating out and I come to London fairly regularly to try out new restaurants, as well as having a fair go at all the restaurants in a 20 mile radius.

Wine wise we both did the WSET Advanced qualification when living in Japan and I am noodling about whether to take on the diploma. As a contrast I also enjoy making my own, often from ingredients that I've foraged (I'm a keen forager and have found plenty of good things to eat on the farm :D).

Any questions, ask away :)

Tere

Tere

Hi folks!

Thought it best to introduce myself now I've got my feet wet and started to post :)

I live on a 37 acre hill farm in a remote part of the Shropshire Hills, right on the border between England and Wales. Ludlow is my nearest foodie town 25 miles away, with an impressive array of independent food shops and a lovely award winning farm shop, although I will admit that most of my food comes from online supermarkets and is topped up by special trips there. Popping out for a forgotten basic item is a 12 mile round trip so I do a fair amount of planning ahead. My husband works in London in the weeks and I am really a grazer when he's not there, saving my weekends for major cooking efforts. I cook on a combo of a conventional oven and a coal fired Aga which we fire up at weekends, dragging out the sous vide occasionally (I really should cook with it more! 

Style wise my cooking varies a lot - I always do some sort of roast dinner on Saturday evenings, but other than that it can be all sorts of cuisine, although I am partial to doing a long slow cook recipe on Sundays as the Aga is great for that. I'm on a curry kick at the moment and trying Lebanese food having been bought an enormous book for Christmas. This weekend we're having laksa, slow roast pork belly and shabu-shabu (we lived in Tokyo for several years and loved the food and the service culture over there). I bake my own bread sometimes and we are lucky enough to have an original 1840's bread oven that we've refurbished and are trying to figure out.

We both love eating out and I come to London fairly regularly to try out new restaurants, as well as having a fair go at all the restaurants in a 20 mile radius.

Wine wise we both did the WSET Advanced qualification when living in Japan and I am noodling about whether to take on the diploma. As a contrast I also enjoy making my own, often from ingredients that I've foraged (I'm a keen forager and have found plenty of good things to eat on the farm :D)

Any questions, ask away :)