• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FauxPas

FauxPas

I'm pretty sure that the shell is considered inedible. The mace has already been removed from those pictured nuts.

Inside the pulpy fruit (pictured on the tree) is the mace-encased shell with the nutmeg kernel inside. I would crack open the hard shell and extract the kernel from inside and use it (grate it). Leaving the shell on will extend the shelf life of the kernel though it will last pretty well even without it. 

Edited to add: I buy whole nutmeg from Penzey's and it is the dull-looking nut, not the shiny shell. 

FauxPas

FauxPas

I'm pretty sure that the shell is considered inedible. The mace has already been removed from those pictured nuts.

Inside the pulpy fruit (pictured on the tree) is the mace-encased shell with the nutmeg kernel inside. I would crack open the hard shell and extract the kernel from inside and use it. Leaving the shell on will extend the shelf life of the kernel though it will last pretty well even without it. 

Edited to add: I buy whole nutmeg from Penzey's and it is the dull-looking nut, not the shiny shell. 

FauxPas

FauxPas

Inside the pulpy fruit (pictured on the tree) is the mace-encased shell with the nutmeg kernel inside. I would crack open the hard shell and extract the kernel from inside and use it. Leaving the shell on will extend the shelf life of the kernel though it will last pretty well even without it.