• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jaymes

Jaymes

My dad lived in Saigon for a time during the mid '50s (the last days of 'Indochine' when the French were still there) and I was lucky enough to get to take a trip back there with him.  In fact, I got to return with him to many of the places he has been over the 95 years he's been alive.  Our trip was a four-month 'Around the World' cruise and it included several destinations in Asia.  We sailed from the South China Sea up the Mekong River to Saigon.  When my father lived in Saigon (he actually lived in Cholon, the Chinese section), he spent a lot of time at the Rex Hotel and very much wanted me to see it.  So we went for lunch.  Out in front of the Rex were two young girls selling flowers.  They were so sweet and cute, wearing their school uniforms and smiling, and my dad was quite taken with them.  In the dining room there was a large window overlooking the street and he sat there for a few minutes watching the girls.  Then he sent me out to ask if they'd like to come inside and join us, which they did, laughing and giggling (although one of them was barefoot and had to run home to get some shoes).  My dad told our waiter to bring the girls whatever they wanted, which he did.  It was all served family-style, so we got to sample everything they ordered.  There was far too much food for us to finish so, after we had a "pleasant sufficiency" - which was what we had to say (as opposed to "I'm full") when, as children, we were asking to be excused from the table - everything was boxed up for the girls to take home to their families.  

I really wish I had written down everything we ordered, and taken pictures of the food but, what with all the excitement, didn't think to do it.

I just can't help myself.  Got to post the photo of my papa and our luncheon guests at the Rex Hotel.

227 Dad at Rex Hotel.JPG

Jaymes

Jaymes

My dad lived in Saigon for a time during the mid '50s (when the French were still there) and I was lucky enough to get to take a trip back there with him.  In fact, I got to return with him to many of the places he has been over the 95 years he's been alive.  Our trip was a four-month 'Around the World' cruise and it included several destinations in Asia.  We sailed from the South China Sea up the Mekong River to Saigon.  When my father lived in Saigon (he actually lived in Cholon, the Chinese section), he spent a lot of time at the Rex Hotel and very much wanted me to see it.  So we went for lunch.  Out in front of the Rex were two young girls selling flowers.  They were so sweet and cute, wearing their school uniforms and smiling, and my dad was quite taken with them.  In the dining room there was a large window overlooking the street and he sat there for a few minutes watching the girls.  Then he sent me out to ask if they'd like to come inside and join us, which they did, laughing and giggling (although one of them was barefoot and had to run home to get some shoes).  My dad told our waiter to bring the girls whatever they wanted, which he did.  It was all served family-style, so we got to sample everything they ordered.  There was far too much food for us to finish so, after we had a "pleasant sufficiency" - which was what we had to say (as opposed to "I'm full") when, as children, we were asking to be excused from the table - everything was boxed up for the girls to take home to their families.  

I really wish I had written down everything we ordered, and taken pictures of the food but, what with all the excitement, didn't think to do it.

I just can't help myself.  Got to post the photo of my papa and our luncheon guests at the Rex Hotel.

227 Dad at Rex Hotel.JPG

Jaymes

Jaymes

My dad lived in Saigon for a time during the mid '50s (when the French were still there) and I was lucky enough to get to take a trip back there with him.  In fact, I got to return with him to many of the places he has been over the 95 years he's been alive.  Our trip was a four-month 'Around the World' cruise and it included several destinations in Asia.  We sailed from the South China Sea up the Mekong River to Saigon.  When my father lived in Saigon (he actually lived in Cholon, the Chinese section), he spent a lot of time at the Rex Hotel and very much wanted me to see it.  So we went for lunch.  Out in front of the Rex were two young girls selling flowers.  They were so sweet and cute, wearing their school uniforms and smiling, and my dad was quite taken with them.  In the dining room there was a large window overlooking the street and he sat there for a few minutes watching the girls.  Then he sent me out to ask if they'd like to come inside and join us, which they did, laughing and giggling (although one of them was barefoot and had to run home to get some shoes).  My dad told our waiter to bring the girls whatever they wanted, which he did.  It was all served family-style, so we got to sample everything they ordered.  There was far too much food for us to finish so, after we had a "pleasant sufficiency" - which was what we had to say (as opposed to "I'm full") when, as children, we were asking to be excused from the table - everything was boxed up for the girls to take home to their families.  

I really wish I had written down everything we ordered, and taken pictures but, what with all the excitement, didn't think to do it.

227 Dad at Rex Hotel.JPG

Jaymes

Jaymes

I really wish I had written down everything we ordered, and taken pictures but, what with all the excitement, didn't think to do it.

But I just can't help myself.  Got to post the photo of my papa and our luncheon guests at the Rex Hotel.

227 Dad at Rex Hotel.JPG

Jaymes

Jaymes

My dad lived in Saigon for a time during the mid '50s (when the French were still there) and I was lucky enough to get to take a trip back there with him.  In fact, I got to return with him to many of the places he has been over the 95 years he's been alive.  Our trip was a four-month 'Around the World' cruise and it included several destinations in Asia.  We sailed from the South China Sea up the Mekong River to Saigon.  When my father lived in Saigon (he actually lived in Cholon, the Chinese section), he spent a lot of time at the Rex Hotel and very much wanted me to see it.  So we went for lunch.  Out in front of the Rex were two young girls selling flowers.  They were so sweet and cute, wearing their school uniforms and smiling, and my dad was quite taken with them.  In the dining room there was a large window overlooking the street and he sat there for a few minutes watching the girls.  Then he sent me out to ask if they'd like to come inside and join us, which they did, laughing and giggling (although one of them was barefoot and had to run home to get some shoes).  My dad told our waiter to bring the girls whatever they wanted, which he did.  It was all served family-style, so we got to sample everything they ordered.  There was far too much food for us to finish so, after we had a "pleasant sufficiency" - which is what we had to say (as opposed to "I'm full") when, as children, we were asking to be excused from the table - everything was boxed up for the girls to take home to their families.  

But I just can't help myself.  Got to post the photo of my papa and our luncheon guests at the Rex Hotel.

227 Dad at Rex Hotel.JPG

Jaymes

Jaymes

My dad lived in Saigon for a time during the mid '50s (when the French were still there) and I was lucky enough to get to take a trip back there with him.  In fact, I got to return with him to many of the places he has been over the 95 years he's been alive.  Our trip was a four-month 'Around the World' cruise and it included several destinations in Asia.  We sailed from the South China Sea up the Mekong River to Saigon.  When my father lived in Saigon (he actually lived in Cholon, the Chinese section), he spent a lot of time at the Rex Hotel and very much wanted me to see it.  So we went for lunch.  Out in front of the Rex were two young girls selling flowers.  They were so sweet and cute, wearing their school uniforms and smiling, and my dad was much taken with them.  In the dining room there was a large window overlooking the street and he sat there for a few minutes watching the girls.  Then he sent me out to ask if they'd like to come inside and join us, which they did, laughing and giggling (although one of them was barefoot and had to run home to get some shoes).  My dad told our waiter to bring the girls whatever they wanted, which he did.  It was all served family-style, so we got to sample everything they ordered.  There was far too much food for us to finish so, after we had a "pleasant sufficiency" - which is what we had to say (as opposed to "I'm full") when, as children, we were asking to be excused from the table - everything was boxed up for the girls to take home to their families.  

227 Dad at Rex Hotel.JPG

Jaymes

Jaymes

My dad lived in Saigon for a time during the mid '50s, and I was lucky enough to get to take a trip back there with him.  In fact, I got to return with him to many of the places he has been over the 95 years he's been alive.  Our trip was a four-month 'Around the World' cruise and it included several destinations in Asia.  We sailed from the South China Sea up the Mekong River to Saigon.  When my father lived in Saigon (he actually lived in Cholon, the Chinese section), he spent a lot of time at the Rex Hotel and very much wanted me to see it.  So we went for lunch.  Out in front of the Rex were two young girls selling flowers.  They were so sweet and cute, wearing their school uniforms and smiling, and my dad was much taken with them.  In the dining room there was a large window overlooking the street and he sat there for a few minutes watching the girls.  Then he sent me out to ask if they'd like to come inside and join us, which they did, laughing and giggling (although one of them was barefoot and had to run home to get some shoes).  My dad told our waiter to bring the girls whatever they wanted, which he did.  It was all served family-style, so we got to sample everything they ordered.  There was far too much food for us to finish so, after we had a "pleasant sufficiency" - which is what we had to say (as opposed to "I'm full") when, as children, we were asking to be excused from the table - everything was boxed up for the girls to take home to their families.  

227 Dad at Rex Hotel.JPG