• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Josh71

Josh71

So, here it is.

I cooked the pork at 69C (156.2F) for 4 hours 30 minutes, and the beef at 58C (136.4F) also for 4 hours 30 minutes, one day before.

Both were excellent, juicy and not dry.

But the beef was a bit "tough", probably because of the type of cut, I don't know. As you can see the meat structure, it's quite dense.

The difficult part was to brown it.

Blowtorch doesn't do much, I use standard torch "attached" to a butane gas canister. 

So, I browned in a very hot skillet wok with oil instead.

IMG_20151231_183357.jpg

Josh71

Josh71

So, here it is.

I cooked the pork at 69C (156.2F) for 4 hours 30 minutes, and the beef at 58C (136.4F) also for 4 hours 30 minutes, one day before.

Both are excellent, juicy and not dry.

But the beef was a bit "tough", probably because of the type of cut, I don't know. As you can see the meat structure, it's quite dense.

The difficult part was to brown it.

Blowtorch doesn't do much, I use standard torch "attached" to a butane gas canister. 

So, I browned in a very hot skillet wok with oil instead.

IMG_20151231_183357.jpg