• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

Typis

On 12/27/2019 at 11:42 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Rapid mode will result in more bouncing than gentle mode if that helps.

I don’t think I have the patience to deal with the Paragon. I couldn’t even bring myself to post about the last time I used it. I was so frustrated I wanted to throw it across the room. But today I thought I would give it another go and see where it got me. The last time, the one I didn’t post about, I tried to use The gentle mode. All I wanted was water at 84°C. The damn thing stalled at 80° after 40 minutes and I just lost my patience.

This morning I tried again using gentle mode and a different pan. First Of all the sensor had lost all its charge although it hadn’t been used and was one  would think fully charged. As a consequence I had to wait until it had a minimum charge before I could sync it again. Really? I’m going to blame this on a premature birth. They should’ve let the engineers have it a bit longer before handing it over to marketing!

Today I tried a different pan. I started out with water at 35°C. Yes, I could certainly have started with warmer water but I’m testing this unit out to see what it’s capable of. Apparently not much. After 56 minutes timed with a stopwatch it finally reached 84°C. I checked it against my thermal probe and it was only slightly higher than that at 84.5°C.Nevertheless, my four minute poached egg was well over cooked. I don’t blame the unit for that but obviously 84°C in four minutes does not work out to a properly poached egg.

Something that takes 54 minutes to reach temperature doesn’t work well for breakfast. It was almost lunchtime before I got my (overcooked) poached egg. 

Is it just me or is everyone else having a great time with this unit? Am I too critical? That could be.

Anna N

Anna N

On 12/27/2019 at 11:42 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Rapid mode will result in more bouncing than gentle mode if that helps.

I don’t think I have the patience to deal with the Paragon. I couldn’t even bring myself to post about the last time I used it. I was so frustrated I wanted to throw it across the room. But today I thought I would give it another go and see where it got me. The last time, the one I didn’t post about, I tried to use The gentle mode. All I wanted was water at 84°C. The damn thing stalled at 80° after 40 minutes and I just lost my patience.

This morning I tried again using gentle mode and a different pan. First fall sensor had lost all its charge although it hadn’t been used and was one  would think fully charged. As a consequence I had to wait until it had a minimum charge before I could sync it again. Really? I’m going to blame this on a premature birth. They should’ve let the engineers have it a bit longer before handing it over to marketing!

today I tried a different pan. I started out with water at 35°C. Yes, I could certainly have started with warmer water but I’m testing this unit out to see what it’s capable of. Apparently not much. After 56 minutes timed with a stopwatch it finally reached 84°C. I checked it against my thermal probe and it was only slightly higher than that at 84.5°C.Nevertheless, my four minute poached egg was well over cooked. I don’t blame the unit for that but obviously 84°C in four minutes don’t work out to a properly poached egg.

Something that takes 54 minutes to reach temperature doesn’t work well for breakfast. It was almost lunchtime before I got my (overcooked) poached egg. 

Is it just me or is everyone else having a great time with this unit? Am I too critical? That could be.