• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Safe to partially thaw and refreeze sushi grade tuna?

FeChef

What would be the best approach to portion out a large chunk of frozen sushi grade tuna. It was very expensive and i only want to use small amounts for sushi rolls. I really dont know why i bought this. I could probably go out to a sushi bar/buffet 4x for what i payed. Damn impulse buy i guess. I suppose the fact that i live 40+ miles away from the nearest market that sells "sushi grade" had alot to do with it.

Anyway, I was thinking i could closely watch it partially thaw in the fridge just till its soft enough to chop it into small portions. I am sure as long as the fridge temp is below 40F and i dont let it get to thawed it will be safe to eat raw.

But what about the texture going from frozen, to partially frozen, and back to frozen? Will the texture change alot if its was still kept in a semi frozen state?

Also, we dont prepare it in thick strips in the rolls. We slice it very thin (shaved) and it gets wrapped over top the rolls. So i wonder how noticeable texture change would be.

Has anyone tried this? If so, what are your thoughts?

I believe that all sushi grade tuna is required by US law to be frozen during shipment (or something like that). Doubt it would be a problem if you refreeze it quickly.

I took a meat cleaver and a hammer and chopped it into 4 ounce portions. It was still frozen solid.  I Vacuum packed them immediately and put them back in the deep freezer. All is good.

But, now i have 500g of green flying fish roe frozen that need to figure out how to portion out while frozen...

Im thinking it would be nice if i could thaw it out and spread it really thin between plastic wrap and refreeze and cut into strips the length of a sushi roll. But not sure how well that would work out?

Any opinions/suggestions?