• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

After reading and watching the "Dairy-Free Potato Puree" blog entry I've become really interested in using diastase. I've run into a small problem, however. I eat a gluten-free diet, as well as almost everyone I cook for. Diastatic malt powder, while thankfully easy to obtain, sadly seems to be an inherently gluten-filled product.

Is there are a gluten-free source of diastase available? I was looking into pure diastase powder, thinking it might be similar to bromelain (safe to use and sold as a powder at vitamin stores). While I did find several sources, and it is listed as non-toxic and even food safe, provided MSDS sheets for diastase indicated that it should not be consumed. While this may mean simply not to eat it straight out of the bag, I'd be very grateful for some guidance. If pure diastase is unavailable and unusable is there another enzyme worth looking into for breaking down starches?