• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

wd-50 2008 -

BryanZ

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am going to wd~50 for dinner in a couple of weeks...

any suggestions on what to get/ what to avoid?

i've heard the knot foie is a definite but that the pizza pebbles aren't exactly the best...

thanks

I am going to wd~50 for dinner in a couple of weeks...

any suggestions on what to get/ what to avoid?

i've heard the knot foie is a definite but that the pizza pebbles aren't exactly the best...

thanks

I would suggest going with an open mind and have whatever appeals to you or go with a tasting menu. Don't let others' opinions prejudge dishes for you. The pizza pebbles are fun and good if you can appreciate them for what they are. Enjoy!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I think the pizza pebbles are objectively revolting, but that's just one opinion.  I'm sure someone likes the taste of powdered 3 year old vending machine food.

While you may find the pebbles revolting, what makes your opinion any more objective than mine or others who find them fun? I am not discounting the validity of your opinion, just questioning your subjective use of the word objective in this instance. I, for one, have never had three year old vending machine food, so I can't relate to the comparison. I have had pizze that have tasted like the pebbles, though, and enjoyed the reference to them.

Edited by docsconz (log)

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

the pizza pebbles are the worst restaurant dish of all time.

almost everything else is spectacular. highly recommend WD-50...but save the pizza pebbles for cats (not good enough to give to dogs)

I think the pizza pebbles are objectively revolting, but that's just one opinion.  I'm sure someone likes the taste of powdered 3 year old vending machine food.

While you may find the pebbles revolting, what makes your opinion any more objective than mine or others who find them fun? I am not discounting the validity of your opinion, just questioning your subjective use of the word objective in this instance. I, for one, have never had three year old vending machine food, so I can't relate to the comparison. I have had pizze that have tasted like the pebbles, though, and enjoyed the reference to them.

They are chalky fake tasting balls of "pizza". I do not understand what is fun about them; they don't taste good. All four of us- Nathan, Sneakeater, Dave H and I agreed that they were revolting. I simply cannot imagine anyone would disagree, but obviously you do. I didn't taste any pizza- just chalky fake dustiness. I suppose all taste is subjective, but I don't believe that there aren't things that taste bad and the pizza pebbles fall into that category.

Since the four of you, Nathan, Jesikka, Sneakeater and Dave H, have taken so much of your valuable time waxing poetic about the pizza pebbles, I would personally like to extend a lifetime free supply of them to each and every one of you!!

All the best,

Wylie

Can't I get a lifetime supply of lamb belly?  Or the hot dog you're making for PDT?  Not to be picky...:)

Have I mentioned that I love lots of other dishes you serve?

ha, didnt think he would call you on it, sad attempt above

Does anybody know what the secondary market is like in pizza pebbles?

No, but I know there's a significant black market for them in Chicago and Roses, Spain. :wink:

Seriously, can I wax poetic about those flatbreads? I know I get them free with every meal already, but that was one of the most memorable things for me at wd~50. Do they still have those?

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Can't I get a lifetime supply of lamb belly?  Or the hot dog you're making for PDT?  Not to be picky...:)

I completely stand by my assessment of the dish, but that doesn't mean that I don't love lots of what Wylie does. I would certainly count myself among a small population of NYers interested in making sure that avant garde cuisine exists in NY. If there's not room for discussion (or "calling me out" as you put it), then there's no reason for sites such as egullet. I'd be happy to drop off a few bags of my pizza pebbles at your house for you to enjoy.

Since the four of you, Nathan, Jesikka, Sneakeater and Dave H, have taken so much of your valuable time waxing poetic about the pizza pebbles, I would personally like to extend a lifetime free supply of them to each and every one of you!!

All the best,

Wylie

Me! Me! I'll take 'em! Think of it, you could make a pizza pebble "cookie" with the dough being garlicky!

It sounds icky but I bet it would be great.

I completely stand by my assessment of the dish, but that doesn't mean that I don't love lots of what Wylie does. I would certainly count myself among a small population of NYers interested in making sure that avant garde cuisine exists in NY. If there's not room for discussion (or "calling me out" as you put it), then there's no reason for sites such as egullet. I'd be happy to drop off a few bags of my pizza pebbles at your house for you to enjoy.

The pebbles are clearly worthy of discussion and your opinion is certainly valid, though I disagree with it. What I objected to, was your use of the word "objective" when you gave your opinion, which is by definition "subjective," as is mine. Would I want an entire meal of pizza pebbles? No, but as a small part of a tasting menu, I enjoyed them very much as I did other iterations of the pebble concept.

Of course, I would think that Wylie's free lifetime supply of pizza pebbles to the four of you would be like getting "free" foie gras in Chicago before the ban was rescinded. :raz::laugh:

Twitter - @docsconz

maybe i am the only one that liked them, tasted pretty good at starchefs he did a video demo on them, im sorry I still think its funny,

It occurs to me that the pizza pebbles would make good projectiles in a food fight.

Can't wait to go back to WD-50 now!

I find that if you get a piece of the flatbread that's just the right shape and thickness, you can almost throw it like a chinese star. Not that I've ever done it. That would be wasting the pastry kitchen's hard work and that would be wrong.

Edited by iheartoffal (log)

Nothing to see here.

Dave H and I decided to have a "quick bite to eat" at WD-50 last night after we got back from the Berkshires, which turned into a bit of a feast. I'll post more about it later, but highlights were the popcorn soup, eggs benedict and the jasmine dessert. We were also able to sample some really fantastic cocktails and some lovely wines. The desserts seemed every bit as good as the Sam Mason days and definitely very fresh and new and interesting. The savory food all hit that interesting but tastes good note.

If you haven't been in awhile, you should definitely get back to WD-50 asap. My pizza pebbles were nowhere to be seen, though I did notice they're still on the tasting menu.

Oh, and the mignardes at the end- wow!

Agreed on the desserts. I went recently and had the tasting, the lamb belly was a complete knockout, one of the best dishes I've had in a restaurant. The desserts, by Stupak, were phenomenal. I had his desserts at Alinea, and I believe he has improves by leaps and bounds since then (they weren't too shabby there, either, by the way.) The coconut dessert was amazing, and I have a certain dislike/distrust of solid coconut. The mignardise were a smash, a great end to a fine evening. Also enjoyed a Spanish white I had never had before that was pretty memorable.

Ryan Jaronik

Executive Chef

Monkey Town

NYC