• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Johntodd

Johntodd

I use my wok:

1. Lightly boil water in the wok to remove stray flavors (optional).

2.  To a dry wok, add 1/2 tsp. salt, 160 ml of kernels, and 40 ml of water.  Yes, water.

3.  Put wok on a small burner and turn it on 1/2-way.  Swirl the wok around to evenly distribute the water and salt.

(The heat will dissolve the salt into the water and the water will mostly get sucked up into the kernel, thus seasoning the popcorn from the inside!)

*Only swirl the water for a minute or so.*

4.  Add one, and only one, pat of butter, and enough oil to coat the kernels.

5.  Turn the heat to high and gently swirl. 

(The water will boil out and then the temp will rise, causing the butter to foam.)

6.  Place lid on wok and pop the corn. 

(As more pops, there will be less fluid inside the wok, so you'll have to shake it more violently as time goes by.)

7.  Turn out into a large container and add water to the wok and boil it clean.  Dry the wok and store.

8.  Add extra butter or salt, parm, etc. as wanted.

If the batch is moist and chewey,  I will place it in a warm oven to steam out and dry for a few minutes.

If adding parm or the flavor shakers from the store, add that immediately after turning out so the flavors will stick properly.

Also, I found that popping on the small burner (or coil) makes it taste more buttery than using the large ones.  IDK why.

Hope this helps!

-John

Johntodd

Johntodd

I use my wok:

1. Lightly boil water in the wok to remove stray flavors (optional).

2.  To a dry wok, add 1/2 tsp. salt, 160 ml of kernels, and 40 ml of water.  Yes, water.

3.  Put wok on a small burner and turn it on 1/2-way.  Swirl the wok around to evenly distribute the water and salt.

(The heat will dissolve the salt into the water and the water will mostly get sucked up into the kernel, thus seasoning the popcorn from the inside!)

*Only swirl the water for a minute or so.*

4.  Add one, and only one, pat of butter, and enough oil to coat the kernels.

5.  Turn the heat to high and gently swirl. 

(The water will boil out and then the temp will rise, causing the butter to foam.)

6.  Place lid on wok and pop the corn. 

(As more pops, there will be less fluid inside the wok, so you'll have to shake it more violently as time goes by.)

7.  Turn out into a large container and add water to the wok and boil it clean.  Dry the wok and store.

8.  Add extra butter or salt, parm, etc. as wanted.

If the batch is moist and chewey,  I will place it in a warm oven to steam out and dry for a few minutes.

If adding parm or the flavor shakers from the store, add that immediately after turning out so the flavors will stick properly.

Hope this helps!

-John