• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Newburyport -

jtphjl

I am renting a house in Newburport (MA) for a week (last week in January) can anyone recommend outstanding restaurants, and a bakery! Thanks, Jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

• 1 month later...

Newburyport was beautiful and found several restaurants worth dreaming about but one in particular to share for anyone interested. Glenn's Restaurant and Cool Bar - 44 Merrimack St. Newburyport. Dinner began with a basket of warm dark pumpernickle and a sourdough bread with sweet butter presented soon after the wine book and cocktail order request - there is a full bar, and impressive wine list. First course - a New England clam chowder ($5.00)with buttery grilled corn and baccon, tender potato and a dash of black pepper made this creamy bowl a hit. My husband's choice, from the night's special, a ceasar salad ($6.50) with just enough pucker and zest.

Main courses : Grilled Long Island Duck, crisp on the outside, tender on the inside, root vegetables ($22) sorry for the lack of details I was feasting ... Filet of Soul with pencil asparagus (grilled) a garlic potato mountain and pan fried spinach (22.00) - I wish I could tell you about dessert but there just was not room! Dinner for 2, with one drink each $70

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

Thanks for sharing. It has been awhile, but when I'm in that neck of the woods, some fried clams are a must, at The Clam Box in Ipswich.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

We tried to get to the Clam Box - lhowever, they were closed for the season...

- Elaine Boosler