• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Traditional-style (Santa Maria) Tri-Tip in Los Angeles

k145

Hi, does anyone know where to find a restaurant in the LA region that serves Tri-Tip the traditional way? I've been to 2 in SD and some up north bu every place I've visited in LA serves tri-tip sandwiches where the meat has some sort of barbecue sauce on it, which is not the traditional version of it. I don't expect the restaurant to wrap the meat in burlap and bury it in coal overnight but at least serve it in the traditional method with its respective garnishes like those that were clearly documented by Californian ranchers in the 19th century. The original style recipe is easy to find such as the one in the Sunset cookbook but how come there it's so hard to find a restaurant that serves it in LA?

I grew up in Santa Maria. Tri-tip in generally cooked over charcoal fire on an open grill.

You might have better luck with finding Santa Maria style BBQ if you head to the Inland Empire. At least somewhere where there are rodeos and the like is a good bet, since BBQ is prepared and sold by different service organizations (the Elks Lodge, for instance) as a fund-raiser.

I can't recall eating SM Style BBQ in a restaurant. Not ever.

• 5 months later...