• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Traveling (and eating) in Germany and France

thock

I'm not really sure if this belongs in this subforum, but it seemed the best place to put it.

I returned on Friday from a two-week trip to Germany and France, ostensibly for a World Action Pistol Championship, but also to EAT!!!

We spent one week in the Philippsburg, Germany, area, and ate at several places around there, including the place we stayed for the week, in Böhl-Iggelheim, called Waldhaus da Claudio. There, I had a pizza that was supposed to be a pizza Margherita, but it was basically a cheese pizza. It was tasty, though.

The next night, we went to a family restaurant called Schmidts, in Wiesloch (I think-I wasn't driving). I don't remember what I had, but I do remember that it was good.

There is a restaurant next door to the range, called Schützenhaus. It's a little mom-and-pop place, but with excellent food. Chanterelles (pfifferlingen) were in season, so they were offering a lot of their dishes with a cream sauce made with the chanterelles. We ate there two nights, and the first night, I had pork cutlets with the mushroom cream sauce, with noodles. It was indescribably delicious. The savoriness of the mushrooms nicely complemented the pork, which was not in the slightest bit dry. The next night, I had the veal with the mushroom cream sauce. Again, it was very good.

Twice, we ate at the range, where they run a lunch counter where they cook a hot meal to sell. They did not use disposable tableware, which I thought was very nice. It was good food, pork roast with potatoes and carrots. The carrots were too sweet for my taste, but the rest was very good.

By far the best meal we had was at a little restaurant in Lyon, France. I lived there for about 9 months, about 20 years ago, and I wanted to go back to see how it had changed. When I was there, I was a student, so didn't have a lot of money to eat out. Well, we wandered around the rue de la Révolution in the drizzle, and happened upon a little restaurant on rue Tupin, called the Café Comptoir chez Sylvie. I was looking at the menu, and Warren was looking in the window, when we were invited in. The hostess was very warm and welcoming. We ordered some wine to drink, me a Beaujolais, and Warren I'm not sure what, but I asked for something sweet for him. We took our time ordering, as everything looked wonderful. I had a quenelle au brochet sauce aurore, which was delicious, and my partner had a steak, which was prepared exactly as he'd ordered it, with a sauce Beaujolaise aux échalotes on the side, and mustard offered, as well. These dishes came with a gratin on the side, which we shared. For dessert, I ordered a crème caramel, which my partner had never before eaten. He loved it. I was too full to have more than a bite, but it was very good.

<sigh>

I wish I could go back. It would only cost a mere $900 for a round-trip ticket.

Tracy

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA