• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pe'tcha

stefanyb

Well, I got together with some people who are more closely connected to the old Jewish traditions and foods than I am and wouldn't you know, they served, among other things, pe'tcha.

It was pretty good. Picture an aspic mold with pieces of carrot and veal suspended in a jellied broth made from the calves feet cooking liquid. They served it with vinegar.

Who remembers this and what else is there to know about it?

Edited by stefanyb (log)

Not a favorite of mine, but my mom makes it to please friends who crave it. In my family pe'tcha was always served hot, meat still on the bone (I think), rich and flavorful but, well, gluey.

Want I should ask for her recipe, Stef?

Not a favorite of mine, but my mom makes it to please friends who crave it.  In my family pe'tcha was always served hot, meat still on the bone (I think), rich and flavorful but, well, gluey. 

Want I should ask for her recipe, Stef?

Shaw mamaleh.

I would like to try and make it if someone knows who might sell me calves feet :smile:

Tanks dahlink.

In the Uk this is called Fis (pro: Feece). Don't know how its spelt.

It used to be very popular but is now rare even in Jewish restaurants. I last saw it in Harry Morgan's in St. John's Wood. I've only ever known it served cold, with vinegar (MALT vinegar that is) as Stefany says. It is the most gelatinous savoury dish I've ever eaten. I'm sure it's sometimes served with hard boiled egg inside the jelly.

As an aside the East End Asian community make a dish called Payah-which is hot lamb's trotters. It's a very soupy dish with only a little gelatinous flesh left clining to the bone.

I never heard this called pe'tcha, but I also know it as fis. Very prosaic, those East European Jews. They called a shovel a shovel, and they called calve's foot jelly fis which is Yiddish for "feet" :laugh:

My father goes crazy for this, and they used to serve it in Bloom's in Whitechapel, but I think not in Golders Green. There were sliced hard-boiled eggs embedded in the jelly. My mother used to make it every week, so I'll try to get a recipe.

Edited by macrosan (log)

My mother used to make this. Fis. With hard eggs and malt vinegar.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

My grandmother used to make petcha, also sometimes called fis.  I remember tons of garlic in the dish.  I was excused from the table when this (or brains) were served, so gross did I find both dishes.

Brains, hearts, livers, kidneys, tongues, lungs, feet, cheese that smelled like feet, were all a big part of my childhood. Couldn't avoid it.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

My mom didn't know where the name came from but guessed it was regional.

Her (Polish) family's recipe: cut the feet into 2" chunks and pile into a large roaster with cut-up onion, lots of garlic and paprika. Cover everything with water, clap on the lid and roast overnight in a slow oven. By morning, the meat should be falling off the bone. Ladle into soupbowls and eat. Or not.

Mom told me her father would come home with the calf's entire lower leg, from knee to ankle, often still bristling with, um, bristles. Her mother singed the leg over a gas burner to clean it up before it was chopped into pieces.

The lemony version I remember is from my dad's family. When the Air Force stationed him in Clovis, New Mexico my grandmother in Denver packed several jars of fis in dry ice and sent it to him on the train. But my pregnant mom was so nauseated by the smell she had to sit outside while he ate a jar's worth. Later that night she told him she could smell it through the refrigerator, and begged him to throw the rest out.

Jin, my maternal grandmother had a separate set of dishes for the cow's udder, since it was both meat and milk.

No, my mother did liver rare.

Tongue sandwiches!!

Cathy, I didn't even know fis was Jewish then. In fact I don't think I even knew what "Jewish" meant.

Cathy, I always thought it was just typical British food. Like jellied eel. My mother was adept at spending as little as is possible but getting as much volume and flavour as possible. So guts were big.

edit:

Ack! Ketchup! No, English mustard and onions.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

Stefany, Welsh/Italian/French etc. All Goyische.

So what's hentalach already?

I wonder if there's an etymological connection between pe'tcha and p'shaw! :smile:

I remember my father eating this (if someone else in the building made it and gave us some; my mother never, ever made it). Revolting.

There's a dish called something like "souse" or "soust" that is sort of a cultural equivalent of pe'tcha, but it is made with pig's feet (and ears, and snouts, etc.). It's a "soul food" dish, a woman I worked with years ago introduced me to it (I couldn't touch it, and it had nothing to do with kashrut!).

It's the stuff that the "rich people" used to throw away. Why bother with feet when you can get the expensive, tasty cuts of the animal? The poorer people learned to make good use of the stuff that the rich threw out. It's interesting that different cultures more or less created the same type of dish, for pretty much the same reasons. (But I still think it's revolting.)