• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

David Arthur Vineyards - hidden gem

CtznCane

This past Thursday we went to a winery dinner at the Carson Center in Paducah, Kentucky. Having previously lived in Santa Rosa, The Delta, and growing up in Berkeley I've been going to wineries since the early 70's and sampling back as early as 1970. Since moving to Kentucky at the end of '08 we haven't had that pleasure so when an opportunity arose (partially sponsored by a very good liquor store/wine store, Wagner's in Paducah) we jumped at the opportunity to go. Bottom line was it was awesome, the setting, the food, the wines, and of course the people. The best time we've had since moving to Kentucky. But this is about the wines.

Even being familiar with many wineries and the Napa Valley there are just far too many to be aware of and have much to go on. Such is David Arthur Vineyards. I knew right where it was located as I use to have frineds in Angwin nearby and had made parachute jumps at Pope Valley back in the day. Still I was not familiar with this vineyard nor their wines. Their wines were wonderful. At the dinner we had their 2010 Chardonnay, 2009 Mertaggio, 2009 Three Acre Cabernet Sauvignon, and 2009 Elevation 1147 Cabernet. With desert was a 2011 Late Harvest Reisling.

The reds were all exceptional. I must admit being partial to the Three Acre Cab as it has a touch of Petite Verdot which always appeals to me. As much as I liked the Three Acre, the 1147 was a solid notch above, though so was the price and the Three Acre is not inexpensive. The whites were also very strong in terms of quality though Reds always capture me a bit more.

The winemaker and owner, David Long was also quite a character and I mean that in the best of ways. When the winemaker is so enjoyable to be around and so into what he is doing, that always shows through and does so in his wines.

Tastings and tours at David Arthur Vineyards are by appointment but based on the experience of drinking his wines and his personality it has to be well worth it. When I get back to California (soon I hope) this vineyard is at the top of my list of places to visit.

If interested their website is www.davidarthur.com

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo