• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Internship

ChefJordan24

I am a Culinary Management student at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh that is looking to do an internship at the end of this year. I previously went to stage at Blue Hill at Stone Barns back in February hoping to do my internship there but it is unpaid and I can not afford to live in NY without any income. Any suggestions where to go?

Thanks,

Jordan

I am a private Chef for a very wealthy family.

How many people work under you, chef?

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I am a Culinary Management student at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh that is looking to do an internship at the end of this year. I previously went to stage at Blue Hill at Stone Barns back in February hoping to do my internship there but it is unpaid and I can not afford to live in NY without any income. Any suggestions where to go?

Thanks,

Jordan

Why NYC? It's packed with people who go there, because 'everyone goes there', and as a result, shiny new faces are kind of a dime a dozen, and have little value simply as such (I'm a New Yorker, so I'm not being dismissive of the city). Another city is far more likely to give you what you really seek and need to advance (in terms of solid experience you can point to).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Well, in the kitchen I am the only one. I have the option for help, but I chose to do it myself. I do everything from menu planning, to nutrition for healthy weight loss, shopping, preparing, serving and cleaning. I feel as though it would be to easy for me to just have people work for me because I only need to feed 8 typically at the most, with an occasional party for 100 which I will still do. As far as everything else in the house hold there are four nannies, housekeepers, gardeners and everything else really that doesn’t involve me.

Edited by ChefJordan24 (log)

Well the main reasons I am looking outside of Pittsburgh is because I do not want to stay here. Also I want to have a big name that I can put on my resume to say I worked under "such and such".

I'm fairly certain that having worked as a line chef (or something of that sort) in a city other than NY would carry more weight on your CV than washing dishes in NYC (where the competition is crazy), even if it's in the kitchen of someone with a huge name. Quite a few of the members here are industry professionals, and will no doubt be able to confirm or refute this.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Well the main reasons I am looking outside of Pittsburgh is because I do not want to stay here. Also I want to have a big name that I can put on my resume to say I worked under "such and such".

I'm fairly certain that having worked as a line chef (or something of that sort) in a city other than NY would carry more weight on your CV than washing dishes in NYC (where the competition is crazy), even if it's in the kitchen of someone with a huge name. Quite a few of the members here are industry professionals, and will no doubt be able to confirm or refute this.

Good point. But I am keeping my options open.

Why not intern at Lidia in the burgh and work your butt off and then use that connection to move to one of her joints in NYC? I can't urge you too much to keep debt as low as you can.