• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Retail storage conditions

baphie

Before the midnight opening of LOTR:TT last night, my friend and I decided to have a drink. We ended up at a wine bar/retail shop to which I seldom go. We were enjoying a glass in the sit-down area which happens to also be where the Bordeaux, Burgundies, etc are displayed. The place was pretty full and thick with cigar smoke. Through the haze, I noticed some very nice bottles - 88 Petrus most notable as well as recent vintages of your top and second level Bordeaux.

My question is how permeable to cigar smoke are the corks and capsules? Does that make any difference? I know cork is oxygen permeable, but is it permeable to larger gas molecules or aerosolized compounds?

I doubt I will return and buy anything (cigar smoke aside) as the room temperature was 75+ and I know it is far cooler (~55-60) earlier in the day when the shop opens. A daily 20 degree oscilliation can't be that good for a wine I would want to lay down for a while.

A.

Before the midnight opening of LOTR:TT last night,  my friend and I decided to have a drink. We ended up at a wine bar/retail shop to which I seldom go. We were enjoying a glass in the sit-down area which happens to also be where the Bordeaux, Burgundies, etc are displayed. The place was pretty full and thick with cigar smoke. Through the haze, I noticed some very nice bottles - 88 Petrus most notable as well as recent vintages of your top and second level Bordeaux.

My question is how permeable to cigar smoke are the corks and capsules? Does that make any difference? I know cork is oxygen permeable, but is it permeable to larger gas molecules or aerosolized compounds?

I doubt I will return and buy anything (cigar smoke aside) as the room temperature was 75+ and I know it is far cooler (~55-60) earlier in the day when the shop opens. A daily 20 degree oscilliation can't be that good for a wine I would want to lay down for a while.

A.

Your point about temperature is very correct.

Cork ideally should not be oxygen permeable. If it is, it shortens the life of the wine.

Cigar smoke in ordinary quantities should not get into a wine. Of course, if you have to drink it in a place with plenty of ambient smoke, the result may be similar.