• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peak Days, Slow Days & Average Volumes in Limited Service "Rea

EatNopales

Hello... I would be very grateful if those who have run limited service places with real food (i.e., not interested in franchises, sandwich shops, mall joints etc.,) could give me a sense of the peaks & slow days of the weak, as well as how steep these are...

What are the busiest & slowest days of the week?

How much higher than average is the busiest day of the week?

How much lower than average is the slowest day of the week?

What are the busy times of the year? What are the slowest times of the year?

How much higher are the busy seasons, how much lower the slow seasons?

Thank you very much!

Whoa, loaded question.

Everything counts.

In a recession, it's places like Mickey D's that makes more money than in "good" times.

Typically, thur, fri, and weekends tend to earn more money. But again, a lot of factors have to be considered.

Typically, christmas season will earn more money, but if you are a Golf & cc, the only money you'll be making is for christmas parties--very little a'la carte

Your seasons will vary by your location. Here in Phoenix, everything is dead in July/August because everyone leaves town due to the heat. In other places, like beach resort towns, July/August is when you make most of your money. You have to look at the location, then consider the habits of the projected clientele.

Swings can be incredibly dramatic. I've done Comedor service before, and our heaviest days were Monday (market day), Tuesday, and Friday, with a swing of 200 covers down to 10. You'll have to take a look at your own area to make the calculations.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Reservations are usually a pretty good indicator of how much to prepare for. Usually....

Good kitchens function on "par levels": So many veal medallions on hand, so many cleaned tenderloins on hand-ready to portion at a moment's notice, and so many uncleaned (untrimmed) tenderloins still in the vacuum pouch.

Reservations are usually a pretty good indicator of how much to prepare for. Usually....

Good kitchens function on "par levels": So many veal medallions on hand, so many cleaned tenderloins on hand-ready to portion at a moment's notice, and so many uncleaned (untrimmed) tenderloins still in the vacuum pouch.

Thanks... sounds like you run a high end kitchen... I am looking more for limited service tactics (Strip Mall, Counter service)