• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Squid Ink

avaserfi

I recently came across some small packets of squid ink and since I haven't seen any around before, I picked up a few. I was wondering if anyone knows what the shelf life of squid ink is refrigerated in these little packets.

Searching online finds a range of indefinitely (what I was told when I purchased it) to six months.

In the meantime, I am thinking up fun ideas for working with squid ink.

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

Are the packets from a company called Nortindal? I've had a few sitting in my pantry for about 3 months. I never thought to refrigerate them. I think they should last as long as it takes you to use them. But, maybe an expert on squid ink can weigh in.

That is the company. I just looked at the packages a little more closely and noticed some fine print in Spanish. The fine print says to consume the contents within four years of production. There is a date stamped in white on the packet right next to the statement. I originally thought it was the expiration, but now I'm thinking it might be the production date.

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

I've been exchanging emails with Nortindal to get a little more information on the subject. According to their customer support, the squid ink packets are best stored at room temperature and are good for 4 years from the manufacturing date which is stamped on each package.

Once opened, the packets will keep 30 days refrigerated.

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory