• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

I am bumping up this topic because I am getting ready to put my HUGE STAUB 12.5 quart "Cocotte"  oval French oven on ebay and though I would first give a heads up to folks here who might want an enormously heavy, extra large vessel that is ideal for braising large hunks of meat and can also be used over two burners on a stove.  

I have difficulty lifting it empty - and if filled, it is impossible.  I even have trouble lifting it with the lid in place.  It weighs 27 pounds 7 ounces.

In the past it has been used to roast a saddle of wild boar, a crown roast of pork, a full prime rib and a saddle of venison (when I was still prepping game for hunters whose wives were not interested in knowing how to prepare game for roasting.

It has also held big batches of chicken and dumplings for a crowd and a turkey that dressed out at 31 pounds.  

I had help with lifting it with all these big and heavy items.

Also, I no longer have an oven into which it will fit.  

I know this big oval French oven is no longer sold in the U.S. but is still available in Europe and possibly in Canada - a friend bought one in Quebec City a couple of years ago.  

The ones half this size, 7 quart, sell (discounted) for $344.95 - Regular price  $493.00.   If anyone is interested, please PM me.  I won't be listing it for a few days.  

• Enameled, inside and out
  • Smooth ceramic bottom usable on all heat sources
  • Highly indestructible, doesn't discolor or rust
  • A Who's Who of the world's top chefs use Staub products
  • Limited lifetime warranty from Staub US against defects

56ecaf28c331a_STAUBovaloven5.JPG.ca8455a

56ecaf2f90f03_STAUBovaloven6.JPG.2bd2e02

56ecaf22070da_STAUBovaloven4.JPG.54cf385

56ecaf1aabef0_STAUBovaloven3.JPG.a65557f

56ecaf137b36e_STAUBovaloven2.JPG.e7a7eed

56ecaf0b0a6dd_STAUBovaloven1.JPG.0dbadfa

56ecaf0299e8f_STAUBovaloven.JPG.cc00c817

andiesenji

andiesenji

I am bumping up this topic because I am getting ready to put my HUGE STAUB 14 quart "Cocotte"  oval French oven on ebay and though I would first give a heads up to folks here who might want an enormously heavy, extra large vessel that is ideal for braising large hunks of meat and can also be used over two burners on a stove.  

I have difficulty lifting it empty - and if filled, it is impossible.  I even have trouble lifting it with the lid in place.  It weighs 27 pounds 7 ounces.

In the past it has been used to roast a saddle of wild boar, a crown roast of pork, a full prime rib and a saddle of venison (when I was still prepping game for hunters whose wives were not interested in knowing how to prepare game for roasting.

It has also held big batches of chicken and dumplings for a crowd and a turkey that dressed out at 31 pounds.  

I had help with lifting it with all these big and heavy items.

Also, I no longer have an oven into which it will fit.  

I know this big oval French oven is no longer sold in the U.S. but is still available in Europe and possibly in Canada - a friend bought one in Quebec City a couple of years ago.  

The ones half this size, 7 quart, sell (discounted) for $344.95 - Regular price  $493.00.   If anyone is interested, please PM me.  I won't be listing it for a few days.  

• Enameled, inside and out
  • Smooth ceramic bottom usable on all heat sources
  • Highly indestructible, doesn't discolor or rust
  • A Who's Who of the world's top chefs use Staub products
  • Limited lifetime warranty from Staub US against defects

56ecaf28c331a_STAUBovaloven5.JPG.ca8455a

56ecaf2f90f03_STAUBovaloven6.JPG.2bd2e02

56ecaf22070da_STAUBovaloven4.JPG.54cf385

56ecaf1aabef0_STAUBovaloven3.JPG.a65557f

56ecaf137b36e_STAUBovaloven2.JPG.e7a7eed

56ecaf0b0a6dd_STAUBovaloven1.JPG.0dbadfa

56ecaf0299e8f_STAUBovaloven.JPG.cc00c817