• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Matsuhisa

southern girl

A good friend decided to surprise me and treat me to lunch at Matsuhisa for an early Christmas present...unbeknownst to her, I would be joining lizziee and her husband at Ginza Sushi-Ko later that evening for dinner...so, thus begins my "Day of Sushi", good thing I love it :wink: !

We sat at the sushi bar with my favorite chef, Yoshi. He knows me well...so it is automatically omakase. We wach ordered a large serving of the house cold sake to accompany our meal.

The first course consisted of 3 pieces of yellowtail sashimi topped witha hint of garlic, a thin petit slice of jalapeno and bathed in soy sauce. Great start.

Next, "newstyle sashimi" of octopus- the raw fish is placed on a heated plate so it "cooks" (not really though). Three rounds of octopus served with soy, truffle oil and shaved black truffle...mmmmm :wub: !

Next up...two pieces of Santa Barbara sweet shrimp, splayed on the plate, with a small cilantro leaf, a dot of hot sauce and a good squeeze of yuzu juice. Also fried heads severed seperately.

A block of toro, sprinkled with japanese salt and seared on the grill...served in 6 healthy sized slices...to be eaten unadorned...excellent.

Then we followed with sushi: yellowtail, kohada, uni, squid with shiso and japanese salt, and anago. Normally we would have continued along this path but, I knew in just a few hours I would be repeating the sashimi/sushi process...so, I begged diet!

As usual the quality of the fish and the service at Matsuhisa was wonderful...

Matshuhisa's used to be my very favorite restaurant in the world. However, by the time the third Nobu opened, it just didn't seem the same experience. More formulaic, and the quality of the sushi slipped a notch. Just one notch, but at those prices ....

Assuming you are a long time diner there, have you noticed the slip?

beachfan

Beachfan, I am a long time diner at Matsuhisa...but, I only dine at the times I know Yoshi will be there...Perhaps there has been a slip (I have heard others say the same thing)...but, I think thanks to the chef-customer relationship I have with Yoshi, I have been able to avoid that. Even though they have a set omakase for each meal (which is highly predictable)...Yoshi takes me on my own adventure...incorporating my favorites and constantly changing the manner they are presented...he also experiments with new dishes and combinations. He has a phenomenal memory for what he has served. He has also mentioned he enjoys putting dishes together for me because I go in with an "I'll try anything" attitude...and he enjoys the challenge. I think those factors will add up to a better overall dining experience than perhaps is the norm.

southern gril when you say

yellowtail sashimi topped witha hint of garlic

do you mean that there was actual sliced garlic?

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Yes, I think just a rub of garlic would do.

Anyway. Sushi!

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

A quick day trip to LA...another great lunch at Matsuhisa shared with lizziee.

Since I arrived early having finished my business obligations I enjoyed a glass of champagne (Veuve Cliquot) while waiting for lizziee. The gentleman next to me and I chatted briefly and he insisted that I and two other people he had been chatting with be treated to seared toro...a very yummy gesture. Yoshi (the sushi chef) also provided a Japanese scallop, halved and dotted with mein taiko.

Lizzie arrived and the omakase lunch began...

1st course-A champagne glass filled with crushed ice and water floated a lemon slice topped with pieces of lobster sashimi with a dash of yuzu juice (and in lizziee's case, caviar).

2nd course-New style sashimi...this time sea bream topped with shaved white truffle served atop its skin (the skin was paper thin and almost translucent)..a light soy based sauce dressed the plate.

3rd Course-Mixed microgreens with spears of endive, toro, sliced Japanese scallops and giant clam sashimi with a ginger dressing.

4th course-Japanese Custard with broth. The custard contained pieces of shrimp, scallop and whole ginko nuts.

5th course- Broiled sea bass marinated in barley miso served on a banana leaf with a cucmber spear and dollop of barley miso.

Sushi- Uni, japanese sea bream with shiso and japanese sea salt, red clam, toro, yellowtail, aji, kohada, seared toro and seared foie gras with eel sauce.

Dessert- Mango, Strawberry and Green Tea Mochi (halves) served with slices of asian pear, strawberry, kiwi, cantalope, blueberries and raspberries with a drizzle of raspberry puree.

Another excellent meal at Matsuhisa :wub: !