• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fromage blanc

SobaAddict70

I haven't cooked much with fromage blanc, though I like it.

Some ideas from Annie Somerville's Everyday Greens cookbook:

- On a baguette with grilled vegs and basil.

- On a pizza with wilted greens and red pepper flakes.

- Stuffed in gypsy (or bell) peppers with an egg to solidify it & some fines herbes.

- Substituted for half the cream cheese in a cheesecake.

You can use fromage blanc as a substitute for goat cheese or cream cheese. That should expand your range of options. I recently tried a black currant & cream cheese ice cream at a local restaurant. It was surprisingly good. The tanginess of the cream cheese set off the sweetness of the fruit puree. Fromage blanc might work in an ice cream, too, if you feel like experimenting.

Have fun! I wouldn't mind a tub of the stuff in my fridge.

I make my own formage blanc and use it in fruit smoothies.

I can also be drained, seasoned with salt, pepper, herbs or spices and used as a dip for crudites.

In France, fromage blanc is sometimes be used to make souffle, cheesecake as noted by djyee100, and tarte au fromage blanc which is a tart served with berries.

I imagine that you could also use it instead of creme fraiche in a vegetable gratin , although it's not traditional, or as a topping for flammenkuche.

The Alice Medrich book "Pure Dessert" has a whole chapter on fromage blanc and similar dairy products. Great almond cake recipe too...

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

I also make my own fromage blanc and use it as a filling in blintzes, both sweet and savory, some quite spicy (obviously not traditional). Almost any kind of fruit, many vegetables, etc.

Some filling ideas here.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett