• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mayonnaise Caviar (reconstructed)

Plaisir

I'm racking my brain to come up with a hydro-colloid to make salmon roe sized balls of mayo.

What if I "TRY" this......

2gr.s Alganate & 200ml Mayonnaise flavored with oyster juice, Dijon & Creme Fraiche

Mix with hand mixer slowly.

Wait 2 hr.s

6gr.s Calcium Glucanate,

600ml Poland Spring water

Drop the mayo in the CG water with syringes.

Any thoughts?

Sincere thanks, Joe

Since you are mixing the mayo with creme fraiche, why not do a reverse spherification? So do your mayo mix and maybe add just a bit of the calcium gluconate in case you are worried that the creme fraiche does not contain enough calcium by itself. I wouldn't put more than 2-3 grams though. Then drop the mixture into an alginate/water solution. The only problem I would foresee is that it is hard to do small spheres with reverse spherification. On the other hand, I suspect that if you do a traditional spherification process that you describe, the alginate would react with the creme fraiche you are adding to your mayo. This would probably create strings or chunks.

By the way, when doing traditional spherification, I wouldn't use calcium gluconate as it is more expensive than calcium chloride. Calcium chloride can impart a taste but once the spheres are formed you wash it off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mayo Pearls.JPG

unfinished oysters and pearls dish.JPG

I had students in the class try to create the pearls, that's why they are so many misshaped "pearls".

The hot smoked oysters dish was finished with a mulled port wine reduction and a confit pearl onion with crushed potato chips.

Thanks for the tip!