• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Uses for Versawhip

cteavin

HI,

I'd getting ready to place an order so I can start experimenting with molecular gastronomy techniques. I'm pretty much set on what I want and the quantities except for one product: Versawhip 600.

I know what it does for foams and I've been reading how people are using it to make vegan meringues and the like but what I'd like to know is if you can use it to strengthen foams in genoise or could I use it to create a new texture in a flour-less cake (and if I did would I need to change the ph of the batter). I will be playing with this when I get it but for know I'm trying to decide on what size container to buy.

I've read that Versawhip's self life is a year, and you don't need much per recipe. If I can use it to stabilize meringues or other dishes where egg whites are used I think I should go with the larger size. It's 50 USD difference in the price. Any opinions?

Thanks,

:smile:

If you're not sure, just get the smaller size. Do some experimenting, see how fast you're going through it, then order the larger size next time if you need it. I don't know much about versawhip other than it allows you to whip pretty much any liquid into a stable foam so the only advice I can give you regarding your ideas is hit the kitchen. The stuff that doesn't work is almost as much fun as the stuff that does, just try everything you think of and see what you come up with.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

If you're not sure, just get the smaller size. Do some experimenting, see how fast you're going through it, then order the larger size next time if you need it. I don't know much about versawhip other than it allows you to whip pretty much any liquid into a stable foam so the only advice I can give you regarding your ideas is hit the kitchen. The stuff that doesn't work is almost as much fun as the stuff that does, just try everything you think of and see what you come up with.

Thanks. With the 2 oz package I get 56 1gram chances to see what it can do, so I took your advise.

Still, I'd like to know how people use it in their recipes.

Well I gave that advice as one who rarely takes it himself. I have a large stock of those type of ingredients because I always order the large packages. I order the ingredients because I have a need to know how when I see a new technique. In a few cases, once I know how, I'm not as excited about it as I was initially and the ingredient sits there. Ordering a small amount to experiment with allows you to decide if you actually want to work with something enough to invest in a large quantity. Maybe someday I'll learn to take my own advice.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.