• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Chambord Challenge

Kohai

So this is half in jest... but therefore half not.

I've always regarded Chambord dubiously. Considering the drinks I've been asked to make with it (French Martinis, anyone?) I think that prejudice is somewhat justified. But on the other hand, a lot of things I once imagined undesirable way back whenever (sloe gin springs to mind) now seem like they actually are/could be pretty cool.

Chambord, in and of itself, is not hideous. There must be a few decent drinks with it. So I am genuinely curious. Does anyone make any good drinks with the purple stuff?

Pip Hanson | Marvel Bar

I have always considered Chambord to be red red red. I made two specialty drinks with chambord, brain shots, fill shot glass 3/4 with chambord then rest with Baileys, watch it curdle and have the texture of a brain, it is delicious. I was a bartender in no name places, but I had freedom, yet most of the patrons were quite left of center, so I deviously came up with the expensive, but tasty Red Russian, made with Finlandia! This drink is pretty strong in a mix drink glass fill with good ice, then pour 3 ounces of vodka and 1 ounce of chambord on top, as it settles and smoothes out the vodka.

Edited by Rodi (log)

I haven't had a bottle of Chambord in a long time, but my recollection is that it's just a black raspberry liqueur, right? So presumably it could be easily substituted for other berry liqueurs: cassis, blackberry, etc. I imagine it'd be quite good in a Gin Bramble or, if you have the 2010 Food & Wine Cocktails book, maybe give the French Canadian a try? I bet it could be interesting to work into some Tiki-style drinks, too.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I don't use raspberry syrup in my Daisy, but sometimes I do sub out the liqueur from curacao to creme de mure and it's good (you could call it a Bramble Daisy really). I don't see why Chambord wouldn't be good there.

nunc est bibendum...

I haven't had a bottle of Chambord in a long time, but my recollection is that it's just a black raspberry liqueur, right? So presumably it could be easily substituted for other berry liqueurs: cassis, blackberry, etc.

Sure, and since first getting it 30 years ago, I've generally kept some on hand but scarcely used any of it in drinks, but rather as a flavor intensifier in desserts made from fresh berries.

It has a distinctive useful flavor and is among the "cassis" genre of berry liqueurs that Europeans have long used for timeless things like dessert flavorings or adding to white wine or the various light refreshing drinks made from combinations of wine, soda water, fresh fruit, bitters, etc.

As observed above, it is somewhat medicinal; it almost strikes me as a Raspberry Heering in that respect. I think my problem with the stuff is that usually there's way to much in any given drink. Like Creme de Violette, I find that less is more.

Pip Hanson | Marvel Bar

• 3 months later...

Spotted this poster in the visitor center at the Château de Chambord...makes me think that the product was not always the syrupy sweet concoction we know today.

IMG_4988.jpg

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

You see it quite a lot in the UK as a general substitute for whatever berry liqueur - it's a lot easier to source (Even supermarkets sell it). The diffords guide 'Cocktails Made Easy Book' makes that suggestion too (The book is based around having a selection of 14 bottles, it's not a bad book, although the fact that none of the bottles is Campari takes it down a notch for me!)

Out of interest, why the hate for the French Martini? Is it the 'It's not a Martini' angle, or is it the sweetness?

I'll admit, I wouldn't want one every day, but it's not that bad a drink is it?

Oh, and Rodi - Yikes!

Edited by Carlovski (log)

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Being in possession of a bottle of Chambord that I do nothing but glare at occasionally, not knowing what to do with it or even why I bought it, I'm really keen to hear about some of the cocktails you have made successfully. Nothing involving Baileys though please, I can't stand Baileys.

Berry flavors are surprisingly good with tequila. Reposado if you really want to taste it. Try mixing it up with tequila, lime and whatever. Or sub club soda or tonic into a Diablo for a variant.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I bought a bottle of Chambord several years ago to make a sauce to accompany duck breasts. It was a dish from Gourmet magazine that my husband always made and it was delicious. So when he retired as my very excellent chef I decided to make the dish myself. Well, the recipe didn't call for much and I still have the large round bottle in my liquor cabinet awkwardly taking up space. It also turns out that my husband used cassis because he didn't want to pay the extravagant price of Chambord. It is not so sweet and much better than chambord. The joke's on me.

Someone mentioned Cherry Heering which is just too sweet for words but is supposed to be used in a sauce with cherries for Danish rice pudding which is full of cream and almonds and is eaten cold. I long ago replaced the traditional cherry sauce with fresh raspberry sauce. It tastes better and it looks gorgeous on the snow white pudding. :raz: