• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

39 Steps, Styal, Cheshire

We’ve always been a bit put off this place even though it is, literally, just up the road from home (yes, prejudice is a nasty trait, even when it's about perceived ponceyness). The dinner menu is priced as expected for somewhere on the fringe of the county’s “Golden Triangle” – the expression “fur coat and no knickers” leaps immediately to mind. It’s a smallish place, seating about 30, and, on this Thursday lunchtime, most were occupied by “suits”. And it’s a cracking good value lunch – offering three courses from a short menu, four items at each course, for £17.50, including coffee .

The danger with many lunch menus of this sort is that portions are tiny and you end getting home wanting a cheese butty. Not here. Three courses will fill you up nicely and, whilst it wasn’t a perfect meal, faults were only minor.

For instance, a fishcake starter was fine – a bit underwhelming on the seasoning but with a decent taste of fish in the four small cakes. The other starter – kidneys on mash came with a small rasher of very crisp, very tasty bacon. Kidneys a tad chewy but the mustard sauce lifted them.

My wife went for roast beef which came with carrots, beetroot, Yorkshire pud and mash – no complaints there (except she’s probably the only person in the world who isn’t keen on mash). I had chicken breast which came with the same veg (no Yorkshire) and sauce which had a nice kick of black pepper.

Desserts were Eton Mess and sticky toffee pudding. Both fine if nothing to shout from the rooftops about – but, hey, this was only costing £17.50. Coffee was served with some very decent truffles.

Well worth searching out this place if in this part of North Cheshire around lunchtime.

John Hartley

Blimey John does'n't time fly. Thought it was a couple of years since we dined here but it was longer than that because its changed hands and there is a new chef.

Previous chef was a guy called Duncan Poyser? and pretty good he was too. BIG portions of food came out of the kitchen.

Looks like the new chef has got a very good pedigree. Must give it a try again.

No menus up on the website, choice of four is very good really, wonder if its the same menu in the evening?

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

David

The menu we ate from was just the lunch one. There's only the a la carte in the evening (which is also available at lunchtime). It normally has menus up on the website but I think they're just samples. Carte has around a dozen at each course.

Having seen what they can do at £17.50, I think we'll be back for dinner at some point

John Hartley