• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ottawa Recs

Khadija

We're going to Ottawa (from Toronto) for a quick date weekend. Will arrive Saturday afternoon and leave early Monday morning. Here's what we're looking for:

1. A memorable/special dinner; this could be "fine dining," but interesting, thoughtful, well prepared food is most important. I have a slight preference for casual dress, mostly because it's so cold. So far, the options are:

-Murray St.

-Sweetgrass

-Domus

-Beckta

2. A very casual dinner in a comfortable atmosphere, with great food. The options are:

-Chez Lucien

-Wellington Gastropub

-Sweet Basil

3. The best gelato we can find. We'll try to visit 2-4 places. (I'm on an ongoing informal gelato "tour" of everywhere I go). I'll also consider really great ice cream. Options:

-Pure

-Piccolo Grande

-Maison Chalouin

4. Light breakfast/lunch/snack places. We both love food and will eat anything, but we're not heavy eaters. We need to supplement the dinners and gelato with light fare. Options:

-French Baker (for croissants)

-Benny's Bistro (breakfast)

5. Good Coffee (espresso). I'm not having much luck with this.

6. Nice, casual pubs and bars.

For a special dinner: Baccara (maybe also Beckta)

For a more casual dinner: Les Fougères (nice setting, relaxed athmosphere), or maybe Domus. Les Fougères also have a nice brunch on Sunday's (try their duck confit).

For a light lunch: Nicastro's Bottega - on the Market (a few tables, good food but a bit noisy; great sandwiches for take out; take a look at their selection of olive oils and balsamic vinegars - some really good deals. Or Lapointe's - also on the market- (nice fresh fish)

Chaloin: for memorable chocolates