• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chanterelles are flammable

Doodad

I wanted to make mushroom powder ala Keller for pan seared snapper last night. I have done it successfully in the past.

Holy cow the fireworks! I assume from looking online that the beta carotene is responsible. Mucho flame.

I would appreciate more detail if you could.

Did you dry the chanterelles and then powder them? If so I would guess they would behave like grain dust if ground fine enough, the right mix of dust, heat and air then poof! How were you using them? Were they already on the fish or were you dusting them on when the poof happened?

The idea does sound wonderful, chanterelles and snapper, wow.

Robert

Seattle

The method is to dry the mushrooms in the microwave on parchment as described in The French Laundry cookbook. works great for shitakes as in the book. Not good for chanterelles. This is the second time I have seen this. The first I thought it was the paper. This time I tried different paper and without paper and they catch fire!

Apparently carrots and other beta carotene rich items do to from the the sources online. Chanterelles are yellow so I can only assume.