• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unpopular at a Potluck

First, sorry your food wasn't popular. I know I would've been so happy if you brought that to my potluck....

Look, as you can see, many of us have been there. Dishes that you worked hard on, from sourcing hard to find ingredients to slaving in the kitchen for hours, and no one wants to touch it. AND losing out to store-bought, from a package mix type food! It hurts the ego.

Like many have said before, to avoid the ego being hurt, know your audience. I love my food, but most of my friends/co-workers don't care/don't understand. (Note to self: may need new friends :blink: ) So, I go simple. Nothing that requires an adventurous/exotic palate. Things that people see and know immediately what it is. I just don't see the point of wasting time and energy when I suspect that people won't enjoy it. Sometimes, I need to put my foodie pride aside and go with what the crowd wants.