• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Farmhouse in K.C.

moosnsqrl

I had lunch at The Farmhouse today. I was alone so couldn’t try as many things as I might have wished. Even though the space has changed a lot, I was subconciously taken back to the Delaware Café and as a result opted for a burger when I couldn’t make up my mind amongst the other items on my short list.

The burger was perfectly MR, well-seasoned and juicy. It comes topped with an oven-roasted tomato, red onion and lettuce. Since tomatoes are rocking right now, I toyed with asking for a slice of fresh, uncooked instead, but decided not to start being a pain on their 3rd day in business (I save that for week 2). I was really glad I tried it as designed – the oven-roasted Roma was perfect on a burger – I’m going to start doing that at home. The egg bun was grilled to give it a little char. I really can’t think how they would improve on it. I didn’t go for cheese but you can add either cheddar or bleu (I think it’s a buck extra). House-cut fries were just my style, too – neither greasy nor crunchy. If I had to pick a nit, it would be the ketchup. It seemed really sour to me. Then I tasted the pickled veg (kind of a giardiniera) which looked kind like it would be more along the line of half-sours but was, in fact, pucker-inducing-one-and-a-half sour. I suspect some of it had perhaps dripped into the ketchup. All in all it was a nice lunch.

They have 5 or 6 salads and I just couldn’t commit to one – people next to me had the roasted beet (w/housemade crème fraiche, orange reduction and parsley, IIRC) and heirloom tomato (w/crispy fried leeks and prosciutto) and shared a crock of French onion soup and all looked really good. I was tempted to offer to share bites but sometimes total strangers are “funny” about that. The spinach and arugula with egg, polenta croutons and bacon lardoons [sic] sounded tempting, too. [Although they are over-seeing the raising of their own pigs (through an arrangement with a Platte Co farmer), I doubt they're feeding cardoons so I think that's a typo. :wink: ]

Other sandwich offerings were a Reuben, a turkey club, a grilled veg with goat cheese, a BLT and a chicken salad. Oh, and there was a potato leek soup also.

Sodas from Fitz’s, the usual coke products and an option to upgrade to Mexican coke for $1, which will appeal to a lot of people I’m guessing. They are awaiting their liquor license so that and iced tea are about it.

Desserts today were blueberry-blackberry pie or a trio of icecreams; someone else will have to weigh-in on those (UE?). There was a decent crowd and the service was really good for this early – all three of the principals were there and as they’re only open for lunch at this time, I hope that will remain the case.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Thanks moosnsqrl for this report. I have been hearing rumblings of this in the works and am glad it finally came to fruition. I will have to make a point of stopping by soon! I will be happy to take their dessert menu for a test run in your stead. :raz:

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Thanks moosnsqrl for this report.  I have been hearing rumblings of this in the works and am glad it finally came to fruition.  I will have to make a point of stopping by soon!  I will be happy to take their dessert menu for a test run in your stead.  :raz:

you're a trooper

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Chicken fried duck sure sounds interesting.

Naturally it made me wonder if they would later feature Duck-fried chicken (since frying in duck fat seems to be in vogue, in some parts). :huh:

M.F.K. Fisher