• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ockenden Manor

If your lucky enough to live in West Sussex,or indeed if you are just passing through.

Head on down for the ever so cheap, and hugely cheerful lunch bargain.

Following the likes of The Hand and Flowers and Michael Caines at Abode this is stunning value.

£10.95 buys you two courses of happiness at this fine Country House Hotel.

Michelin starred chef Stephen Crane will ease your wallet ever so gently with his credit crunch lunch deal.

Obviously, don't expect fireworks at these prices, but do however expect an introduction to what the kitchen can offer.

Michelin starred chef Matthew Tomkinson ( Montagu Arms) was Cranes's sous chef for four and a half years, so you begin to understand the quality of the kitchen.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

they do a good sunday value night offer too.

lovely place, excellent cooking, nice rooms too.

I would like to try that deal, however the lunch deal is not available on Sundays.

Would be nice for us to take the lunch offer, then move on to the dinner and overnight stay, and eat somewhere in Brighton the next day.

Then,

"Home James"

Edited by david goodfellow (log)

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

we did the other way round, weekend in brighton, then ockenden on way home.

we were going to see matt but he'd only just got started at the montague so wasn't quite ready, he recommended ockenden and they certainly looked after us.

i especially liked the little oak panelled bar, and the dining room itself is also very convivial.

you don't win friends with salad

• 3 months later...

Their lunch offer (download voucher to qualify for £3 off two course Prix Fixe menu)) has gone up by £1 since David first drew attention to it. Still excellent value based on my experience yesterday.

Lunch menu changes daily so I can't give reccos but my starter of caramelised guinea fowl liver and fois gras parfait, and crispy fishcake main were both packed with flavours if the amounts were a little bit on the small size.

Service was excellent. Restaurant deservedly full. Well worth a stop off IMHO.

• 1 year later...