• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Larb Laab Larp

Larb alternative, nam sod:

i10998.jpg

Made it jumping off from this recipe:

http://importfood.com/recipes/naemsod.html

I ground the pork instead and blanched it. I also julienned the onions and added just a bit of sugar to take the edge off my not-young ginger. Some fish sauce for salt. I also used red cabbage and julienned it and put it underneath to make it eat more like a normal salad. Could be improved, but decently tasty alternative to larb. There seem to be many variations. There's a recipe for a version in the recipe gullet by PIM:

http://recipes.egullet.com/recipes/r765.html

can you tell me what country i should look to to find my fish sauce jason :raz: mmmmmmmmm larb with crispy lettus wraps and peanut sauce :wub: mmmmmmmmm

I always look for Thai fish sauce. I am partial to Tiparos brand. Just make sure whatever you get doesn't have sugar (ick) in it.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow for lunch, Diana and I will larb the leftover very rare steak.

There is leftover steak only because the tomatoes and sweet corn were to die for.

Leftover rare meat larbs very well, BTW.

When you say that you chop/grind your pork in the food processor, are you using a special attachment, or just the steel blade?

cut up the meat into 1 inch or so chunks and put in the freezer until they're a bit firm (not frozen, but rather not mushy). put meat in regular food processor and give about 10 or 12 1-second pulses. you'll probably have a good idea of when the texture is right for you by looking at it.

• 2 weeks later...

I had hoped to have a leftover pork chop tonight, with the specific goal of larbing a cooked pork chop (probably the one thing I haven't larbed).

But, the kids were extra hungry, so no leftover pork.

Seems to me I should, right now, go and get that lone chicken breast out of the freezer to larb tomorrow for lunch.

Larb. I hadn't had it for a few weeks. I forgot just how satisfying it is.

I think we need a National Larb Night.

Chicken thighs larb very well. They are kind of a bitch to bone, but then I always take that pile of bones, stick them in the freezer for stock making.

If we grill chicken, and there are leftovers, I often take the meat off the bone and larb it. I'll often nuke the chopped, leftover chicken just long enough to take the chill off of it.

I have been larbing every week throughout the summer.

excellent!

i sometimes buy boneless/skinless thighs.  and they're still about half the price of breasts.  obviously the ideal situation is boneless/with skin thighs.  but to larb i think skinless is probably best.

Skinless, definitely, for larb, unless you are using leftover grilled chicken and the skin is really crispy. Then, I reserve the crispy skin to use as a garnish.

I should not have had granola for breakfast. I should have larbed!

Last week I popped my larb cherry with thigh meat I had taken from some Buddy's Natural Chicken thighs on sale for 89 cents a pound. I bought three pounds, pulled off the skin and then deboned them, saving the bones in the freezer for stock. I flattened all the thigh pieces out and froze them individually on a cookie sheet, pulling out a couple to pulse in the food processor for my first larbing. I used a combination of snowangel's recipe and Kasma Loha-unchit's recipe. Wow - now I'm looking forward to pulling a few of those already frozen thighs for future larbs.

The only problem I encountered was that only that day I had ripped the inside skin of my lower lip off when it stuck to a produce sticker I had inadvertently and stupidly placed between my lips as I plunged veggies into a plastic bag - the acid in the lime juice and the chilis made me do a bit of dancing.

Edited by memesuze (log)

Lamb larb. Lamb larb. Lamb larb! Love the way it feels on the tongue to say it -- love it more when I eat it! :wub:

gallery_12550_103_1095451860.jpg

I finally did it. Have been waiting on all ingredients to fall in my lap simultaneously to larb for the first time. It was lamb, it was 'licious, it was luscious! We are larb addicts already! It was beautiful, rich, and so satisfying! (I have a pic but what happened to imageGullet? Am I missing something in this new transition here?)

I used snowangel's basic recipe, and her wonderful help and guidance with ingredients. I had plenty (three quart-size baggies full) of our own dried hot Thai chilis ready so I ground one bag and filled a jar; used 4 tsp of those and a fresh one sliced very thin. Handful of Thai basil leaves. Being lamb I thought it would be nice to see how the addition of mint played out -- it was a nice touch. The lamb (leg of) was slow roasted in the smoker, all its crannies crammed with basil and garlic at the time. I had saved a hunk to larb. I pulse/ground the very rare lamb in the food processor -- I may never again buy already ground meat. Proceeded with recipe and we ate with gusto! :biggrin:

Will add pic when I figure out what happened with imageGullet. :huh:

edited to add line and photo: OK. Thanks to snowangel I found my photo head. :blush:

Edited by lovebenton0 (log)

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

I could have just stood at the fridge, door open, and gnawed at that leftover chuck eye steak (rare).

But, espying the lime, that kaffir lime tree I have, the lime, the colorful bag of bird chilis, and full well knowing that I have fish sauce, toasted rice powder, etc., the decision was made! Lunch larb

gallery_6263_35_1095461023.jpg

Leftover meat makes wonderful larb.

While I was at it, I larbed one of the venison brats we have (to the tune of 20+ pounds in the freezer, as someone suggested on my food blod. It was a waste of fish sauce. (I should add that the whole reason these brats are not very good is that there is not nearly enough fat in them. The place Paul took the deer -- never again! -- put enough fat into the summer sausage, but not the brats).

I'm smoking a butt tomorrow and will larb some of that, as another test of larbable items. Larb science.

There have been several brands of fish sauce tossed around and I would like to mention my favorite.

It is a Phillipine product but it moves off the shelf more rapidly than any of the other brands and the best Thai restaurant in town uses it.

It is called:

NeliCom

PATIS

100% Pure Fish Sauce

Export Quality, Carefully Aged.

Ingredients:

Fish Extract, Salt and 0.1% Sodium Benzoate added as preservative.

Manufactured by Southeast Asia Food, Inc.

559 Paso de Blas

Valenzuela, Metro Manila

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

In the June Saveur (with the watermelon on the cover) there is an article on northeastern Thailand that includes a recipe for Laab Pla Duk (grilled catfish larb) and a reference to laab kai mod daeng - larb made with ant eggs, mint and lime juice.

Mmmmm. Ant eggs.

Since I am reading this way after the publication -- and a larb newbie, though addicted already . . . :wub:

Does anyone recall this recipe -- are there any essential differences to larbing chix, or say salmon? Catfish is big on my food loves and I have some right now that would love to be larbed. :biggrin: Snowangel, as I have used your wonderful recipe, have you larbed catfish before?

Judith Love

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

My digi-cam was on the charger so I just ate the smoked chicky leg I larbed for lunch without pics.

I love this larb! I love this larb! :wub:

Judith Love

Snowangel, as I have used your wonderful recipe, have you larbed catfish before?

I have larbed all sorts of things. The only real failures were tofu and hard boiled eggs. Oh, and that venison sausage I mentioned on my blog (too dry).

I have not larbed catfish, but have done salmon, shrimp, squid and other fish (I have not, however, larbed sunnies; prefer them fried within minutes of bringing them in). The catch is that you should larb the fish raw, which is what I have always done because of the citrus effect of "cooking" the fish. In fact, when I larb rare steak, I aim to eat it pretty darned fast because the rare disappears when it is stored for very long.

As a side note, my cousin Brian stopped by the other day to drop off his chain saw (not to self; add chain saw to Xmas wish list; totally OT) while I was lunching on some smoked pork larb. So, he joined me. Now, this is a guy who was raised on Goehner, NE. Population? Really small. Raised on tuna noodle casserole; orange jello salad with shredded carrots, canned mandarin oranges and canned pineapple; one of those areas where a tin of black pepper lasts years; you get the picture. Before he moved up here, his idea of exotic was canned La Choy chop suey. ANyway, he loved the larb. Enough that I made some more larb and showed him how to do it. Took him to the Asian Market where we set him up. Stopped at his house and gave him a quick curry lesson. And, he had his first bahn mi. He added extra peppers to his. :biggrin: I'm beaming with pride.

Thanks, Susan. Good point about the fishy larb. The citrus will cook it up pretty thoroughly.

Plan to sear then grind some beef in food processor today for larb later; let you know how that works out too.

Judith Love

Was there life before larb? :blink::wub:

Didn't even need to sear beef before dropping chunks of it into food processor and pulsing to a medium grind. Delish! I really don't think I will ever buy pre-ground meats again!

No lemon grass in this larb. :wink: Plenty of lime juice, fish sauce (1:1), lime leaves and all the other goodies. (I like the galanga powder in the larb.) Good measure of basil and cilantro in the warming and extra cilantro as a garnish. I was even more aware of the good crunchy/nutty taste and texture of the toasted rice in this larb than in the chicken or the lamb. The hot Thai chilis (both the dried/crushed and the fresh) from the garden are kick ass good!

I could definitely tell the the difference starting with raw meat -- the cooked meat absorbed more of the humidity of the sauce than this. It was a bit wetter and I liked it like that. :biggrin:

gallery_12550_103_1095836756.jpg

Beef larb for dinner tonight.

Judith Love

• 2 weeks later...

Diana is going to have to eat supper in the car tomorrow when we leave for the Cabin. She's requested larb. For ease in eating in the car, she suggested I tear up the lettuce and put it in a plastic bag so she can add it to the larb and eat it with a fork like a salad.

My friends are jealous that my 14 year old daughter requests larb. She likes her's with lots of bird chilis on it :wub: