• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Claret

Shermar

I keep running into Coppola's Claret in the liquor store. I look at it and put it back. I like his other wines. I'm not sure what to do with claret though. When is it served? After dining or before? What goes with it? What type of glass is used for serving? An inquiring drinker wants to know.

Never mind...now I scrolled down and see that the topic is already on the board. Sorry about that.

Kitchen Kutie

"I've had jutht about enough outta you!"--Daffy Duck

Claret generically is the name for the (mostly red) wine the British (English & Scottish) imported from Aquitaine (Bordeaux) which was formerly part of the English crown (viz. Eleanor of Aquitaine). the key varietals are Cabernet Sauvignon & Merlot (to a lesser extent Cabernet Franc). Historically they were vinified to produce fairly tannic wines which repaid lengthy cellaring.

They count amongst their number some of the truly historic wines of the world:

Petrus, Mouton-Rothschild, Cheval Blanc and so on.

This region produces an enormous quantity of wine much of which is uninteresting. Because of the lengthy cellaring period these wines at the higher end have been treated as an asset class with secondary market values & consequent absurd valuations.

Sensibly one drinks the (red) clarets as an ordinary red wine. However it is sometimes the custom to circulate claret as an alternative to port at the end of a meal. Any wine designated as claret is liable to be a Cab. Sauv./Merlot mix vinified with some (slight) regard to the historical taste of a Claret (somewhat tannic, at least lightly oaked).

Designation of a wine as claret gestures uncertainly to the above.

A wine which can more than most benefit from (appropriate) decanting.

Coppola's Claret, search me.

Wilma squawks no more

Thanks for the info Mr. Jones. I also found the discussion on the other Claret thread enlightening as well. It was the claret/port intersection which was dimly going off in my head.

Kitchen Kutie

"I've had jutht about enough outta you!"--Daffy Duck