• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restauranteur as Enterpreneur

Chris Amirault

The interface is terrible and you'll want to break the screen because of the weird camera angles, but this series of video clips with Tom Colicchio provides a pretty compelling look at the business of restaurant development, operation, investment, and ownership. I'm still making my way through them, but I'm struck (as I was listening to him at the NYC Food & Wine event) by Colicchio's ability to be blunt and interesting about the sort of back-of-the-back-of-the-house oversight and management that takes up a big chunk of the restauranteur's 80-hour week.

There's nothing in here about plating or flavor combinations, as far as I can tell, but I'm rapt listening about his reaching his limit as financial overseer with the Craft organization and deciding "when to fire a customer." It's just the sort of stuff that you'll never see in Gourmet or on Food TV, but it's probably got more to do with which restaurants live and which die than most of us realize.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

The series really got my attention. Very insightful. I would definitely recommend it to any and every chef/owner. I suspect that learning the business side of operating a restaurant is a great challenge for a chef.

FYI Sara Moulton is interviewed as well, along with Tom Colicchio. They both sound like really neat people.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

So, in AmEx speak, what are the "takeaways" from this? One from me is a cliche that, in my own work, is very true: never let your team suffer abuse from customers. It's not only a thoughtful managing strategy for collaboration and a healthy workplace, but it's also a way to avoid being sued for workplace negligence.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

"takeaways" :shudder:

A great reminder-You have to always be looking ahead. The ability to see trends/problems or how your business will be changing in the future allows you to stay ahead of the curve and gives the opportunity to flourish while others struggle. This also helps you stay agile in business.

Jeff