• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eat more Parmesan Cheese

I am sure everyone knows by now about the Italian governments attempts to prop up the flagging Parmesan industry by buying it up big and giving it to the needy - a noble aim indeed.

The story is outlined HERE

Helping to save the Parmesan cheese industry is surely a project worthy of e-Gulleters? Vital, I would say.

So, lets have your ideas as to how to use more Parmesan, lest it becomes a mere memory.

Here is my suggestion - naturally a historic one. I know there is an earlier version of this somewhere, but this will do for starters.

Cheese (Parmesan) Ice Cream.

Take six eggs, half a pint of syrup and a pint of cream; put them into a stewpan and boil them until it begins to thicken; then rasp three ounces of parmesan cheese; mix the whole well togetherand pass it through a sieve, then freeze it according to custom.

From: The Cook's Dictionary and House-keeper's Directory … by Richard Dolby (1830)

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

With regard to this WSJ article about Parmigiano Cheese Makers

Hard Times for Parmigiano Makers Have Italy Ponying Up the Cheddar

Government Tries a Bailout, 'Just as There Was for Banks,' to Help Struggling Producers, December 11, 2008

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1228775653...icle-outset-box

Alas, buying more cheese will not help the cheese makers in this case and many others that are sure to follow.

Unfortunately, this simplistic purchase (bailout?) by the Italian government (using EU funds) is not fixing the problem. The problem lies in the distribution chain. This article did not mention what profits everyone else in this food chain makes. This is a catch-22 for all artisan food producers. If you look at how the system works, most everyone else in the food chain makes decent, even tremendous profits: the distributors, exporters and retailers that demand rock-bottom prices from producers. It's amazing that there are any artisan products at the market, based on the *standard* system where producers benefit the least.

New approaches like Francesco Salvini's (mentioned in this article) will hopefully help. But the root of the problem is still unsolved. Several small-scale organic producers in Crete are doing similar things but it's an uphill battle, particularly since gov't support of their work is very minimal or nonexistent. Tangible support for farmers-artisan producers around the world should be increasing, especially in the case of sustainable organic products. All of the stakeholders need to be a part of the solution...unless they really don't care if wonderful Parmigiano or Feta or Brie simply disappears from the markets.

Nikki Rose

Founder & Director, Crete's Culinary Sanctuaries

Eco-Agritourism Network

Nikki Rose

Founder and Director

Crete's Culinary Sanctuaries

Eco-Agritourism Network

www.cookingincrete.com