• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Viaggio di Vetri

robert40

It's one of the most beautiful, and most beautifully produced cookbooks I've ever seen. Just gorgeous.

It's also one of the most self-congratulatory, self indulgent cookbooks ever. For the home cook, maybe one out of ten recipes is workable. But there are so many photos of the handsome Dude himself that recipes seem as if they were an afterthought.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

It's one of the most beautiful, and most beautifully produced cookbooks I've ever seen. Just gorgeous.

It's also one of the most self-congratulatory, self indulgent cookbooks ever. For the home cook, maybe one out of ten recipes is workable. But there are so many photos of the handsome Dude himself that recipes seem as if they were an afterthought.

Thank you. I briefly glanced at it the other day as my daughter was pulling me to the children's section.

Robert R

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know that I agree with this. For a restaurant cookbook, I find most of the recipes easily attainable by an avid home cook.

Maybe you've gotten too distracted by the Dude to have paid much attention to the recipes? :laugh:

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

As an aside, for those who might be in the downtown Philadelphia area on Saturday November 8th, the 'Dude' himself will be at Foster's Homeware doing a free cooking demonstration and a cookbook signing. Check here for details.

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)