• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beluga

I dined at Beluga (I *believe* it was two star Michelin at the time) in 2005. Somehow, I've remained on their email list (although I'm fairly certain this is the first email I've gotten from them - ever). I just got this in my inbox:

BELUGA LOVES YOU

hosted by Supperclub Amsterdam

Afsluiten van de zomervakantie doen wij eigenlijk altijd traditioneel op het Preuvemenint, om met frisse moed, nieuwe ideeën en voldoende energie weer aan het werk te gaan. En dan er nog even geen genoeg van krijgen; “en we gaan nog niet naar huis” is ons motto voor het aankomende preuvenemint.

Vrijdag- en zaterdagnacht knallen wij precies om 00.00 uur stipt los met onze theatrale afterparty.

Er zij twee soorten tickets beschikbaar: het exclusief ticket en het VIP-arrangement inclusief ticket. (voor meer info: zie tickets)

Allebei de tickets zijn in beperkte oplages; 500 stuks en 100 VIP.

Bestel je tickets per email, want achteraf zeggen : ‘was ik maar” is altijd achteraf.

De deur gaat open om 22.30 uur en sluit om 05.00 uur achter de laatste gast.

Dus : Get your ass before midnight.

Kijk voor meer informatie: www.belugalovesyou.com <http://www.belugalovesyou.com/>

Met vriendelijke groet,

Hans van Wolde

Restaurant Beluga

Now I can read an itsy bit of Dutch. But I certainly know English when I see it. If the line I bolded in the quote above isn't in English, will someone please kindly translate it for me? I'm wildly curious what it could possibly mean.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I dined at Beluga (I *believe* it was two star Michelin at the time) in 2005.  Somehow, I've remained on their email list (although I'm fairly certain this is the first email I've gotten from them - ever).  I just got this in my inbox:

Now I can read an itsy bit of Dutch.  But I certainly know English when I see it.  If the line I bolded in the quote above isn't in English, will someone please kindly translate it for me?  I'm wildly curious what it could possibly mean.

U.E.,

Here is the translation:

BTW, the word "Preuvenemint" is a contraction of the words 'preuve' (to taste) and 'evenemint' (event), i.e. Festival of Taste.

At the end of the summer holidays we always have the traditional Preuvemenint, putting our renowned courage, new ideas and enough energy back to work. And even after all of that we still can't get enough, so "we still do not go home" is our motto for the upcoming event.

Crash our Friday-Saturday night party at exactly 00.00 hours, sharp and get loose with our theatrical afterparty.

There are two types of tickets available: the exclusive ticket and the VIP package including ticket. (For more information: see tickets)

Both tickets are in limited editions; 500 units and 100 VIP.

Order your tickets by email, or you'd be saying afterwards: "I was gonna, but..." like loosers always do.

The door is open at 22.30 am and closes at 05.00 hours after the last guest.

So: Get your ass over her before midnight.

For more information: www.belugalovesyou.com <http://www.belugalovesyou.com/>

Best regards,

Hans van Wolde

Restaurant Beluga

"Dus" means "So", and I think they were trying to use strong language to be emphatic.

Personally, I always swear in the language others barely understand. :-)

Edited by MikeTMD (log)

"It's not from my kitchen, it's from my heart"

Michael T.

My flickr collection

It's true that it's a misprint in the official e-mail. It should read 'Get your ass in before midnight'.

Regardless of that, it doesn't really sound like the type of language you'd expect from a two star establishment, but it fits their image. Beluga has always tried to get some 'young and wild' bravado across, but in my opinion they'd better focus on the food and service instead.

Too many complaints are coming in these days about overcomplicated dishes and arrogant staff, and with that are third star seems far from likely (personally, I think one star is a better reflection of the culinary standard in this place anyway).

Maurice van Bussel

www.Knoopjelos.nl

It's true that it's a misprint in the official e-mail. It should read 'Get your ass in before midnight'.

The omission of "your" wasn't the error I had in mind. But, I guess the addition of "your" does eliminate one rather disturbing interpretation...

Regardless of that, it doesn't really sound like the type of language you'd expect from a two star establishment, but it fits their image. Beluga has always tried to get some 'young and wild' bravado across, but in my opinion they'd better focus on the food and service instead.

Too many complaints are coming in these days about overcomplicated dishes and arrogant staff, and with that are third star seems far from likely (personally, I think one star is a better reflection of the culinary standard in this place anyway).

You just saved me typing two paragraphs. I could not have composed a better assessment.

I met Chef van Wold when I dined at Beluga in 2005. He was mighty fine keen on himself. "Bravado" might be what he and the restaurant are aiming for, but I got much more braggadocio instead. Just as an example, read the commentary I noted here.

The food wasn't up to snuff. I was surprised then that it was a 2 star restaurant.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

All very true. And there are more examples why this restaurant just doesn't cut it. They once offered a piece of wagyu beef with fries during a surprise lunch menu, feeling very pleased with themselves, just because the chef feels he can get away with it now (him being 'so famous'). Disappointment allround, as you can imagine, when you're paying top dollar (or euro in this case) for a 2-star meal.

Still, the most obnoxious example only dated from a couple of weeks ago, when a friend of mine had dinner there. A table across the room wanted some dish explained, and asked a couple of questions about caviar. How silly they might have been, they were just interested. Then the table next to them joined in, a family of four, and tried to ridicule the questions asked. In which the staff, rather than being professional and polite, actually chose sides for the family and laughed at the table he was originally serving. By my book that's not acceptable anywhere, it's just plain insolent.

Where all this arrogance comes from, I don't know, because it's far from a place in my personal Top 10 when it comes to Dutch restaurants, and not really on the shortlist to visit any time soon.

Maurice van Bussel

www.Knoopjelos.nl

• 3 weeks later...

Beluga is by far the most overrated restaurant in The Netherlands. Hans van Wolde is trying to create a shock effect with his food to impress his guests. He uses powerfull and easy flavors to make 'complex' dishes that everyone will like but it lacks depth and refinement. All of this isn't that bad but what I really don't like are pretentious! He and his staf are arrogant and do not have a lot of knowledge at all. You will notice this especially with the wine pairings. Once I asked some background information about a wine and the waiter didn't knew a bit so he looked at the label of the bottle and concluded that it was from france. More information he couldn't tell us :angry: ( he really thought that his answer would satisfy me) Another time I had lunch and did order a tasting menu. The maitre refused, because there were just a few guests in the restaurant so it was not worth it to cook a big menu only for 2 persons.

I think I made my point about Beluga. :wink:

Edited by Sven (log)

• 4 weeks later...
I think I made my point about Beluga.  :wink:

I have had a meal at Beluga 9 times, the last time in June 2005. I thought about going there again, since some people say Van Wolde has become better. But I am eally a bit shocked by all this negative feedback here!