• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turtles

Orik

I've often wondered about the taste of turtle, but never got a change to try it. Recently, I've seen relatively large soft shell turtles being sold alive or quartered in Chinatowns (Manhattan and SF) and I was wondering whether any of the manhattan or flushing chinatown restaurant serves them. Non chinese options (or referrals to previous discussions) are naturally welcome.

M

I confirmed that a dessert actually made from the shell or hard underbelly of turtles is available at Sweet-n-Tart's Manhattan Chinatown branch. One has to order it by saying something like "kwai ling go" (rough translation). Apparently, it's listed on the menu for non-Chinese customers as Chinese jelly, so as not to shock. It is an acquired taste, but it is rather inexpensive and definitely worth a try. Sweet-n-Tart has certain other nice desserts as well.

20 Mott St. (bet. Chatham Sq. & Pell St.) New York, NY, 10013-5001 (212) 964-0380

I confirmed that a dessert actually made from the shell or hard underbelly of turtles is available at Sweet-n-Tart's Manhattan Chinatown branch. One has to order it by saying something like "kwai ling go" (rough translation). Apparently, it's listed on the menu for non-Chinese customers as Chinese jelly, so as not to shock. It is an acquired taste, but it is rather inexpensive and definitely worth a try.  Sweet-n-Tart has certain other nice desserts as well.

20 Mott St. (bet. Chatham Sq. & Pell St.) New York, NY, 10013-5001 (212) 964-0380

Thanks Cabrales! :smile:

I love Sweet-n-Tart. They have great dimsum on Sundays.... Have you ever tried that?

They also have soup dumplings that are very good. Watercress and crab ones I think.

I love Sweet-n-Tart.  They have great dimsum on Sundays.... Have you ever tried that?

They also have soup dumplings that are very good.  Watercress and crab ones I think.

Suvir -- I usually go for desserts, but I'll keep the dim sum in mind. :smile:

Have you tried thier juices?

Suvir -- No; when I am in Chinatown, I sometimes drink a beverage made from combining coffee and tea (hot). It is called something like "yeen yeung", and is apparently relatively popular in Hong Kong. :blink:

Suvir -- No; when I am in Chinatown, I sometimes drink a beverage made from combining coffee and tea (hot). It is called something like "yeen yeung", and is apparently relatively popular in Hong Kong. :blink:

Thanks for another great tip. Sounds like yin yang... Makes sense.

Where do you get that drink? Do most restaurants serve it to those in the know?

I think it might be based on industrially processed parts of turtle.   :hmmm:

That is probably the case, but it would still be interesting to try. I guess if Sushi Zen fails me I will just have to cook one at home.

M

Just a few week back, we had a stray turtle visit our buildings courtyard.

I think one of the young kids in the building has given it a home (aquarium).

Some wondered if it were a pet somehow gone astray... another in the building had mentioned maybe it was dinner for someone in the hood.

It was a beautiful baby like one can often find in Chinatown.

Thanks for another great tip. Sounds like yin yang... Makes sense.

Where do you get that drink? Do most restaurants serve it to those in the know?

"Yeen Yeung" is a type of bird. It is symbolic for love...

If you say yeen yeung it implies a couple, which may be where the name for that drink came from. The combo of tea/coffee.

It is basically milk, tea, sugar, and coffee. You can get it at boba (tapioca) tea places too. Usually the tapioca drinks are preferred cold because the balls get too mushy sitting in the hot drink for so long.

It's more of a hong kong thing so you won't really get it at a taiwanese or shanghai place (non cantonese). Some taiwanese people find it a strange practice since there are people there extremely particular about their coffee.