• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is the Seating Policy at Lupa Unreasonable?

vivin

Over the past many years, I have traveled a lot for work, with a lot  of  that being solo travel. So, I've spent a lot of time having meals at bars.  for the most part, I am more comfortable dining there solo as opposed to a table.  Still, the thought of a bartender kicking someone out who is enjoying a cocktail or a glass of wine just so I can eat mortifies me.  Really, I would never expect it to happen.  Even if it WOULD benefit me (and there have been cases where the bar was full and I just couldn't sit down), it would make me feel really weird.

All that is well and good, but the restaurants you went to may have had a slightly different demand.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Over the past many years, I have traveled a lot for work, with a lot  of  that being solo travel. So, I've spent a lot of time having meals at bars.  for the most part, I am more comfortable dining there solo as opposed to a table.  Still, the thought of a bartender kicking someone out who is enjoying a cocktail or a glass of wine just so I can eat mortifies me.   Really, I would never expect it to happen.  Even if it WOULD benefit me (and there have been cases where the bar was full and I just couldn't sit down), it would make me feel really weird.

All that is well and good, but the restaurants you went to may have had a slightly different demand.

That's quite possibly true. (really, I'm sure it is) Still, I just have it stuck in my head that a bar's primary purpose is for drinking.

Anyway, it's an interesting policy. Is it unique to Batali joints? Something common in NYC?

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I have to agree with jsmeeker. I strongly prefer eating at bars - do it all the time - and I happen to love Lupa, but I think that asking someone having a drink to give up their seat so someone else can eat is bizarre. It would make me uncomfortable to be in either position. I'll ask a bartender to let me know if he's dropping a check so I can get a seat, but I would not want someone else to be asked to move. Perhaps the only exception would be if they were not drinking anything, and just sitting.

Over the past many years, I have traveled a lot for work, with a lot  of  that being solo travel. So, I've spent a lot of time having meals at bars.  for the most part, I am more comfortable dining there solo as opposed to a table.  Still, the thought of a bartender kicking someone out who is enjoying a cocktail or a glass of wine just so I can eat mortifies me.  Really, I would never expect it to happen.  Even if it WOULD benefit me (and there have been cases where the bar was full and I just couldn't sit down), it would make me feel really weird.

That's quite possibly true. (really, I'm sure it is) Still, I just have it stuck in my head that a bar's primary purpose is for drinking.

Anyway, it's an interesting policy. Is it unique to Batali joints? Something common in NYC?

In many NYC restaurants that have a bar, the bar isn't really for drinking. Rather, it's a way to squeeze in more seating while still providing room for the beverage staff to pour glasses of wine and mix the occasional drink.

That said, I strongly disagree with the practice of kicking someone out of a bar stool they already occupy if they're having a glass of wine. I would strongly resist such an attempt unless the restaurant made a truly oustanding effort to "make it right" with me. I wouldn't mind shifting seats, of course, or even being asked nicely if I wouldn't mind standing, provided that meant I still had a spot at the bar. But, depending on how it was handled by the restaurant (one hopes that places like Lupa have become adept at asking drinkers to move for eaters), I also wouldn't be above thanking them for the free wine I was now not going to pay for, and leaving.

--

I think it's true of Craft as well.

and bar dining is certainly emphasized here...most places don't have an hour wait for seats at the bar to eat though (the Batali places often do)...