• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One night in Toledo, Cincinnati, St. Louis

The DH (an architect) and I are planning a road trip to see many of the museums built in the last decade or so. We start in Toledo and make a big half loop to end up in Minneapolis. (On this trip we're skipping Chicago/Milwaukee.) What is the one restaurant in each city that really communicates the local essence? We not necessarily looking for roadfood, but we're not necessarily looking for local-seasonable-sustainable either. (We're from New York so we've got plenty of that already.) Any suggestions would be appreciated and we will report back!

AEM

To me, Al's Breakfast epitomizes MSP. It's not the food (you can get eggs benedict anywhere), but the atmosphere. It's as far from pretentious as you can get, and I've met the nicest people standing in line while waiting to get a seat. It's not a dinner place (closes at 2), though, so it may not be what you were thinking of.