• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quand arrive le nouveau beaujolais?

winodj

I am unfamiliar with the term "plonk." Sorry, my French is rusty. :-)

I had a couple OK bottles last year, nothing hugely special. But I also had a bottle of Cherry Kool-Aid masking as Nouveau Beaujolais.

Plonk is poor quality wine. I happen to believe Beaujolais Nouveau is perhaps the biggest, most successful marketing rip-off on this planet. It is a plan the French hatched to rid themselves of mediocre, young wine that THEY would never drink.

Kitchen Kutie

"I've had jutht about enough outta you!"--Daffy Duck

we really don't enjoy this wine, do we? i buy a few bottles a year just to serve to my friends who would normally be swilling something from a keg. it's festive. but generally horrible.

i think that last year's batch was supposed to be exceptional in some way. i recall it was borderline undrinkable. but then again i'm a snob. :shock:

Plonk is poor quality wine.  I happen to believe Beaujolais Nouveau is perhaps the biggest, most successful marketing rip-off on this planet.  It is a plan the French hatched to rid themselves of mediocre, young wine that THEY would never drink.

at least it introduces the average person to *some* aspect of french wine.

Plonk is poor quality wine.  I happen to believe Beaujolais Nouveau is perhaps the biggest, most successful marketing rip-off on this planet.  It is a plan the French hatched to rid themselves of mediocre, young wine that THEY would never drink.

Yeah, but the labels are REALLY PRETTY!! Isn't that what counts when picking a wine after all?? :huh:

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Plonk is poor quality wine.  I happen to believe Beaujolais Nouveau is perhaps the biggest, most successful marketing rip-off on this planet.  It is a plan the French hatched to rid themselves of mediocre, young wine that THEY would never drink.

Yeah, but the labels are REALLY PRETTY!! Isn't that what counts when picking a wine after all?? :huh:

Re Shermar's comment: I always thought "plonk" was English English. N'est-ce pas, Wilfrid?

Oh, tighe, for beautiful labels, look to your own region Oregon and Washington (and even Idaho) put out some damn good wines with nifty artwork both inside AND outside the bottles. :wink:

When I was doing pastry, the beverage manager at the restaurant offered me several cases of the previous year's New Beauj. I tried, god knows I tried to use it -- reduced to flavor ice cream (kind of greyish pink :shock: ), as a sweetened reduced syrup -- nothing worked. YUCK.