• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baker's Scale Scoops

Chris Amirault

Over here you'll find a topic devoted to the day I spent in a bread baking class at Johnson & Wales yesterday. In some of the photos you'll see these terrific baker's scale scoop bowl things:

gallery_19804_437_29342.jpg

These double-lipped items can serve as scoops, bowls, and funnels for pouring items into mixer bowls. Most important, they can be used on scales thanks to their footed base.

They're everywhere in the labs at J&W but I'm having a hard time finding any on the internet. Here's one example that's not exactly the same but would suffice. Does anyone have any other sources for these?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Everything appears to be plastic these days, but there are some stainless steel options out there...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I use a nested set of silicone bowls (http://www.amazon.com/iSi-Basics-FlexibleSilicone-Mixing-Bowls/dp/B000S17WN4) for measuring flour and pouring it into the mixer. Works perfectly, allows me to measure and weigh more than one ingredient, and takes less storage space than those elegant single-purpose bowls used by the bread-baking students. (Actually, I'd love to have a single specialized object for each kitchen task, but I'd need an enormous kitchen and a still-larger pantry. As it is, my basement is filled with the kitchen tools and objects I use less frequently.)

in providence you could call hallsmith sysco or maybe perkins supply in taunton. the bloody scales are expensive, around 275 bucks, but the scoops are probably cheap.

they didn't have the laminator in there when I took that class in fall of 96, but it pretty much looks zactly the same.